[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder out of memory?

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (09/20/90)

The Finder runs out of memory when trying to rebuild the desktop.
Hmmm...sounds like you're running under MultiFinder.  In that
case, even if you have 8 MB in your Mac the Finder only has a
small portion of that memory allocated for its own use.

The best thing to do is to use the "Set Startup" command to
select Finder upon bootup, and *then* restart the Mac and rebuild
the DeskTop file.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave Zinkin

--
David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

INTERNET: drz@po.cwru.edu      BITNET: drz%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (09/20/90)

In article <38751@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, biswa@janus (Biswa Ghosh) writes:
>When I try to rebuild the desktop (on SE30, 6.0.4, 5 megs), I get
>a message after a while, 'unable to complete rebuilding desktop,
>finder out of memory.' The exact wording may be slightly different.

This also happens when copying large numbers of files under
Multifinder.  The answer is to allocate more memory to the Finder,
though it somehow seems insane that this process can only be
accomplished by moving the mouse, clicking, typing numbers into a
little window, and rebooting.

Does anyone know, offhand, whether or not this idiocy has been removed
from System 7?

(By the way, someone at Apple must have a sense of humor, since the
dialog box that appears to tell you that the Finder can't copy so many
files reminds me of the punch line to an old "Doctor Doctor" joke.
Like "Doctor, doctor!  It hurts when I move my arm like this."  "Well,
don't move your arm like that."

Apple's dialog says something like that...)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (09/20/90)

In article <38751@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> biswa@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Biswa Ghosh) writes:

>When I try to rebuild the desktop (on SE30, 6.0.4, 5 megs), I get
>a message after a while, 'unable to complete rebuilding desktop,
>finder out of memory.' The exact wording may be slightly different.
>

>(2) What should I do?

Go into your System Folder, click on the Finder, do a "Get Info", and up
the memory for the Finder somewhat (I use 256k, but some people go up as
high as 512).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/23/90)

You may try to assign more memory to the Finder.  To do this, click on the
Finder in the System Folder.  Next, select Get Info from the File Menu.  In
the memory box in the lower right hand corner, assign the Finder more RAM
space - maybe something like 320k or so - and then restart.  This should take
care of your problem.

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (03/07/91)

Recently, I've been getting a Finder out of Memory error when I attempt to
launch certain applications.  Now that I think about it, I never saw it before
I installed 6.0.7!

I am using Multifinder, System 6.0.7, and I have 5 megs of ram.  Certainly
I can handle this!

Ken

--

		Ken Linger