[comp.sys.mac.system] Weird Bug in System 7.0b4

dburr@monsoon.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) (03/07/91)

I'm running into a weird bug when using commmunications programs under
System 7.0b4.  This has happened with both ZTErm 0.85 and White Knight 11.10.

Here's the story.

I'd be typing away, and everything would be normal.  Then all of a sudden,
my speaker makes a weird noise, like an ascending whistle kind of sound.
Then, things are OK for a while, until that sound sounds again.  Then my
keyboard starts doing weird things, like everything I type is shifted.
Not only are lowercase letters shifted to uppercase (as if the CAPS LOCK
were down), but numbers are also shifted (like a 1 becomes a !, a 2 becomes
a @, etc.)  Usually pressing either left, right, or both shift key(s) simul-
taneously will cause the speaker to make the whistling sound again, and the
problem ceases (i.e. keyboard returns to normal).

Details of system: Mac Classic, 4 meg ram, System 7.0b4, running the following
INITS: BroadCast 1.2, DeskPicture 2.0.3, IconMaster-HD 1.0, Fruits of Passion
2.4, CEToolbox 1.5.1, Magic Menu 2.0 (although neither its icon shows up
at startup, nor the Magic Menu appears under the Finder), Super Boomerang
2.0.3, and MacinTalk 2.0.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_CompuServe:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.043930.25863@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>I'm running into a weird bug when using commmunications programs under
>System 7.0b4.  This has happened with both ZTErm 0.85 and White Knight 11.10.
>
>I'd be typing away, and everything would be normal.  Then all of a sudden,
>my speaker makes a weird noise, like an ascending whistle kind of sound.
>Then, things are OK for a while, until that sound sounds again.  Then my
>keyboard starts doing weird things, like everything I type is shifted.
>Not only are lowercase letters shifted to uppercase (as if the CAPS LOCK
>were down), but numbers are also shifted (like a 1 becomes a !, a 2 becomes
>a @, etc.)  Usually pressing either left, right, or both shift key(s) simul-
>taneously will cause the speaker to make the whistling sound again, and the
>problem ceases (i.e. keyboard returns to normal).

I had the same problem once and a while. It's the Easy Access CDev which
starts of on some curious conditions. Try to remove that (only for handicapted
people usefull) cdev and anything should be all right.
The next time it starts simply open the control panel and switch it of again.
You can see that if you watch the uppermost right part of the screen, to the
right of the icon in the menu bar. There appear some icons indicating that
Easy Access works. I don't know why it suddenly starts but it is shurely not a
matter of the communication.
BTW, does anybody know why they removed that "Brightness" thing that worked
on my fx (and came with 7.0b1) in 7.0b4? (the provided one only works on
portable). Fortunately I kept a copy of it.
If someone at apple comes to read this: what is the OINK mode in ResEdit 2.1
and how does it get invoked? I just saw the appropriate icons and ALRTs, but
couldn't hack the mode.

Oliver.

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.043930.25863@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>I'm running into a weird bug when using commmunications programs under
>System 7.0b4.  This has happened with both ZTErm 0.85 and White Knight 11.10.

  "That's not a bug!  That's a feature!"

>I'd be typing away, and everything would be normal.  Then all of a sudden,
>my speaker makes a weird noise, like an ascending whistle kind of sound.
>Then, things are OK for a while, until that sound sounds again.  Then my
>keyboard starts doing weird things, like everything I type is shifted.
>Not only are lowercase letters shifted to uppercase (as if the CAPS LOCK
>were down), but numbers are also shifted (like a 1 becomes a !, a 2 becomes
>a @, etc.)  Usually pressing either left, right, or both shift key(s) simul-
>taneously will cause the speaker to make the whistling sound again, and the
>problem ceases (i.e. keyboard returns to normal).

  What's happening is that you are somehow activating Easy Access, which has
audio feedback in System 7.  Here's what can activate Easy Acess:
  Hitting the shift key five times in rapid succession activates Sticky Keys.
(I found out that I had a habit of playing with my shift key when I'm waiting
on my Mac because of this feature.  It's the only reason why I keep Easy
Access around...  :)
  Pressing Command-Shift-Clear activates Mouse Keys.
  Holding down the return key for about ten seconds activates Slow Keys.

  -- Dean Yu
     Bluer Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

In article <1991Mar7.105711.15310@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:
>BTW, does anybody know why they removed that "Brightness" thing that worked
>on my fx (and came with 7.0b1) in 7.0b4? (the provided one only works on
>portable). Fortunately I kept a copy of it.

  Actually, that feature wasn't supposed to be there and was accidentally
rolled in.

>If someone at apple comes to read this: what is the OINK mode in ResEdit 2.1
>and how does it get invoked? I just saw the appropriate icons and ALRTs, but
>couldn't hack the mode.

  Oink mode, formerly known as the flipping pig mode, is a debugging mode.
It does something similar to a heap scramble whenever ResEdit opens a resource.
As for how to invoke it...  Well, I think I'll leave that as an exercise to
the reader...