[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple Read This: Another Suggestion

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (02/25/91)

(wow, is this a direct line to apple telling them what features we want?  :-)

Please have a window shuffle command...so that you can shuffle windows
up and down when
using multifinder

And also when shuffling to the finder, please show all files on the
desktop, not only those
that reside in folders...

thanks!

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (02/26/91)

In an article (several articles, really), but I only want to comment on:

SAURABH MISRA, < smisra@eos.ncsu.edu> writes:

>   And also when shuffling to the finder, please show all files
>   on the desktop, not only those that reside in folders...
>   >   By that I mean is this:  say you are using Word, and you
>   discover a file that you want to delete.  So you go back to
>   the finder pull out the file from the folder and then try to
>   trash it, only to find the trash can is hidden by the Word's
>   document window...so you have to go back to work ... shrink
>   the window from the bottom right hand side corner so the
>   trash can is visible..
>   >   Now this problem could be solved it everything that appears
>   in the finder (including hard disk icon, trash can, and
>   often used applications that you just put naked on the
>   desktop were to be shown when in the finder (when using
>   multifinder
>   >   >   Apple, are you listening??

For others with this type of problem, I highly recommend an init called
"scrolly".  Easily set up, it allows you to treat each window as a "roll-up
shade" so that by pressing Command and clicking on the windows title bar, the
window "rolls up" or "rolls down", allowing you to access the desktop.  I often
keep several small windows rolled up ready for instant access should I need
them.  An added benefit - if all those overlapping windows are rolled up,
screen redraws are a lot faster.

Shareware and available from most good bbs file areas.  Not related to me, but
I am glad they/she/he wrote it.

zune@lysator.liu.se (Andreas Magnusson) (02/26/91)

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu writes:

>(wow, is this a direct line to apple telling them what features we want?  :-)

Well, one can only hope :-)

>Please have a window shuffle command...so that you can shuffle windows
>up and down when using multifinder
Yyyyes pppplease!

>And also when shuffling to the finder, please show all files on the
>desktop, not only those that reside in folders...
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one though, what do you mean? Would you like to be able to trash the
Desktop file?

>thanks!

/Andreas
 _____________________________________  ____________________________________
| Andreas Magnusson                   ||SnailMail:     Andreas Magnusson    |
| Linkoping Institute of Technology   ||               Rydsv. 260 A:32      |
|      	       	       	              ||               S-58251 Linkoping    |
| c89andma@odalix.ida.liu.se          ||               SWEDEN               |
| zune@nanny.lysator.liu.se           ||                                    |
`-------------------------------------'`------- New SnailMail Address ------'

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) (02/26/91)

bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/26/91)

In article <510@lysator.liu.se> zune@lysator.liu.se (Andreas Magnusson) writes:
>smisra@eos.ncsu.edu writes:
>>Please have a window shuffle command...so that you can shuffle windows
>>up and down when using multifinder
>Yyyyes pppplease!

Hm?  What do you mean by this?

>>And also when shuffling to the finder, please show all files on the
>>desktop, not only those that reside in folders...
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This one though, what do you mean? Would you like to be able to trash the
>Desktop file?

I believe the intent was to have some way to get at files and volume
on the desktop (not in any window) without having to move everything
that's covering them away.

It is a bit annoying to have to hide several applications before I can
see what volumes I've got mounted...

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (02/27/91)

   smisra@eos.ncsu.edu writes:
   >And also when shuffling to the finder, please show all files on the
   >desktop, not only those that reside in folders...
	     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   This one though, what do you mean? Would you like to be able to trash the
   Desktop file?

No, I believe he is referring to the situation where you return to the
finder under Multi-finder, but one or more of the windows other
applications still have up cover up items that are "actually" "on"
the desktop, such as disk icons or files that have been left on the
desktop for some reason; the icons that you still see when all windows
have been closed.  Presumably, the Set Aside option is as close to that
as we're going to get.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.141353.13049@ncsu.edu>, smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) writes:

|> By that I mean is this:  say you are using Word, and you discover a file that
|> you want to delete.  So you go back to the finder pull out the file from the
|> folder and then try to trash it, only to find the trash can is hidden by the
|> Word's document window...so you have to go back to work ... shrink the window
|> from the bottom right hand side corner so the trash can is visible..

If I understand your problem, as far as I have seen, they already fixed that.
You can "hide" applications instead of leaving them. That means, their windows
will disappear from the desktop. You reenter the application by choosing it from
a special menu that appears where the multifinder put its small icons in the
6.x releases.

Have fun

Oliver

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (03/01/91)

In article <6635@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@rise.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

   It is a bit annoying to have to hide several applications before I can
   see what volumes I've got mounted...

	<< Brian >>

While in principle I agree with you, System 7's commands "Show All"
and "Hide Others" make this a moot point.  'switching' to the Finder
and Hiding others is an easy way to do this...  When you're done, just
Show all, go back to the app. you had been using, and you're back
where you were.

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |    getting old"

The Symbolics MacIvory software had an interesting solution to the problem
of application windows covering desktop icons.  MacIvory is a Lisp Machine
coprocessor, and it uses a user interface applicaton that puts up a window
that represents the normal Lisp Machine console.  By default they make this
window as large as possible.  However, the application detects switch-out
events, and automatically clears away a vertical strip along the right
side, where the disk and trashcan icons normally sit.  It doesn't help if
you have so many disks that they overflow to the next column, or if you
like to move these icons, but it works in the common case.

Another suggestion that I've heard many times is that the desktop icons
should actually be in a window.  I think the user interface guidelines say
that everything should be in a window (except windows), so the Finder is
violating these guidelines by allowing objects on the desktop.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

T1W@psuvm.psu.edu (03/03/91)

In article <1991Feb26.141353.13049@ncsu.edu>, smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH
MISRA) says:

>By that I mean is this:  say you are using Word, and you discover a file that
>you want to delete.  So you go back to the finder pull out the file from the
>folder and then try to trash it, only to find the trash can is hidden by the
>Word's document window...so you have to go back to work ... shrink the window
>from the bottom right hand side corner so the trash can is visible..
>
>Now this problem could be solved it everything that appears in the finder
>(including hard disk icon, trash can, and often used applications that you
>just put naked on the desktop were to be shown when in the finder (when
>using multifinder

Under System 6.0.X, I keep the trash window open.  Then, if I'm in some
application that doesn't let me delete files, I click to the desktop and
move the file to be deleted to that window.

But anyway, Word 4.0 has a Delete... option in the File Menu.

Tom Warms
Penn State

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (03/10/91)

re:
>By that I mean is this:  say you are using Word, and you discover a file
that
>you want to delete.  So you go back to the finder pull out the file from
the
>folder and then try to trash it, only to find the trash can is hidden by
the
>Word's document window...so you have to go back to work ... shrink the
window
>from the bottom right hand side corner so the trash can is visible..

How about adding a menu item to the special menu: "Into Trash", or something
like this?
-Brent

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (03/10/91)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

RH> Beware of "obvious" solutions. An icon inside a window frame
RH> tends to look as if it belongs there. It would be disorienting
RH> if the Finder's icons (the ones that normally appear only with
RH> desktop as background) could suddenly seem to be graphics in
RH> your MacPaint window.

But I've never heard such complaints about DiskTop, and it's handled things that way for years.

Well, anyway, I like the MultiFinder 6.1b method of Set Aside, anyway.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix