[comp.sys.mac.system] Retrospect Question

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (03/09/91)

I have a pair of questions about Retrospect:

1.  What is the current version (I have 1.2)?

2.  If I create an Archive, and I want to add files or folders to the
archive, how exactly do I do it?  Do I just select the archive on my
tape drive, then select the files I want to add and execute it?  I'm
afraid I'll overwrite the existing files in the archive if I do this
(I currently have only one tape, so I'm not free to experiment).

Thanks,

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (03/09/91)

In article <17064@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
#>
#>I have a pair of questions about Retrospect:
#>
#>1.  What is the current version (I have 1.2)?
#>
#>2.  If I create an Archive, and I want to add files or folders to the
#>archive, how exactly do I do it?  Do I just select the archive on my
#>tape drive, then select the files I want to add and execute it?  I'm
#>afraid I'll overwrite the existing files in the archive if I do this
#>(I currently have only one tape, so I'm not free to experiment).
#>
#>Thanks,
#>
#>jas

Retrospekt does NOT create incremental archives. Each
time you run it, it creates an entirely new backup
until you run out of space on your backup device. Since
I am backing up to a removable, I found this behavior
unacceptable and have resumed using SUM backup. I was
told that Retrospekt could be configured to erase the
oldest backup archive when the disk is full, but it
didn't appear to be easy to do.

Steve Goldfield

greg@enterprise.Sun.COM (Greg George - Sun Area Project Consultant - Midwest ) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.212315.20572@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
|> Retrospekt does NOT create incremental archives. Each
|> time you run it, it creates an entirely new backup
|> until you run out of space on your backup device. Since
|> I am backing up to a removable, I found this behavior
|> unacceptable and have resumed using SUM backup. I was
|> told that Retrospekt could be configured to erase the
|> oldest backup archive when the disk is full, but it
|> didn't appear to be easy to do.
|>
|> Steve Goldfield

HUH? I'm confused. The whole basis behind Retrospect is
adding to a backup rather than creating a brand new one
everytime you want to save your work. Now SuperMac does
produce a disk backup product (name escapes me for the
moment) that creates a brand new backup everytime you
use it. That became very irritating - as the gentleman
above explained. To get Retrospect to do what you want
you are going to need to create a script to backup
what you want, and to the device it needs to go to.

Considering the multitude of possibilities for backup
and archive (which I havn't seen anywhere else), I have
found Retrospect to be the best backup program you
can buy.

greg

p.s. Archiving allows Retrospect to delete the files
it backed up from your hard drive (why waste disk
space with something you won't use for 6 months?)

mo@well.sf.ca.us (Maurice Weitman) (03/11/91)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>In article <17064@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>#>
>#>I have a pair of questions about Retrospect:
>#>
>#>1.  What is the current version (I have 1.2)?
>#>
I believe 1.2 is the latest.

>#>2.  If I create an Archive, and I want to add files or folders to the
>#>archive, how exactly do I do it?  Do I just select the archive on my
>#>tape drive, then select the files I want to add and execute it?  I'm
>#>afraid I'll overwrite the existing files in the archive if I do this
>#>(I currently have only one tape, so I'm not free to experiment).
>#>

>Retrospekt does NOT create incremental archives. Each
>time you run it, it creates an entirely new backup
>until you run out of space on your backup device. Since
>I am backing up to a removable, I found this behavior
>unacceptable and have resumed using SUM backup. I was
>told that Retrospekt could be configured to erase the
>oldest backup archive when the disk is full, but it
>didn't appear to be easy to do.

If I understand both of you correctly, I think you're incorrect,
Steve.  I use Retrospect to do incremental backups.  What it
cannot do is an incremental backup *in place*, meaning overwrite
the archived copy of a file when the live one is updated.
Retrospect's method of incremental backup is to append the
changed files to the end of the backup data set.  As far as
Steve's comment about erasing the oldest backup when disk is
full, I think what can be done easily is to cause automatic full
backup when target data set is full.

Let's say you're backing up to a 40mb disk or tape.  Source is a
20mb disk.  First backup takes ~20mb.  First increment takes
another 3mb, representing the changed files since last backup,
next backup session tacks on another 2mb, etc., until the 40mb is
about to be exceeded, at which time, it'll tell you it's time to
recycle the medium, and ask permission to do so.

As for Jeff's original question, I'm afraid I don't have my
manual handy, but I'd suggest calling Dantz t.s. (415)849-0372.
They'll help you through setting that up.  It's pretty easy.

--
Maurice Weitman  mo@well.sf.ca.us  ..!{hplabs,pacbell,apple,ucbvax}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe  1634 Walnut  Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "Facts are stupid things."  Ronald Wilson Reagan, New Orleans, 1988
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.