[comp.sys.mac.system] Will new purchasers get System 7.0 and docs free?

rcook@harriett.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (03/12/91)

I purchased a Mac Classic on Feb. 26 through our University Purchase Plan.
Everything I've read about the Classic says it comes with System 7.0.
I know System 7.0 wont be available until May 13, but does anyone know if
new Classic purchasers will get sys 7.0 upgrades AND documentation free?
Nobody from our university, our Apple dealer or the regional Apple "person"
(from Chicago suburbs) can answer this. Does anyone have the word on this
yet?

Robert Cook----rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.212210.26964@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@harriett.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>I purchased a Mac Classic on Feb. 26 through our University Purchase Plan.
>Everything I've read about the Classic says it comes with System 7.0.

	Really?  I just pulled out the spec sheet on the Classic, and
the only reference to System 7.0 it gives is that the Classic comes
ready to use it (2 mb RAM, 40 mb HD).  It comes with "System software
and Hypercard software" - no version number mentioned.

>I know System 7.0 wont be available until May 13, but does anyone know if
>new Classic purchasers will get sys 7.0 upgrades AND documentation free?
>Nobody from our university, our Apple dealer or the regional Apple "person"
>(from Chicago suburbs) can answer this. Does anyone have the word on this
>yet?

	Nobody knows.  There's lots of rumors, lots of reports from
MacWEEK, but no official word.  Yet.  Myself, I doubt that you'll get
the disks -and- docs for free, but that's -my- guess.  Nothing
official about it.
--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."