[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0 startup dialog

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (03/14/91)

I saw a discussion a while back on getting rid of that annoying startup
dialog in system 7.0b1.  How does one do this?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/14/91)

In article <AbrhV2S00iV0E7PVY2@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>I saw a discussion a while back on getting rid of that annoying startup
>dialog in system 7.0b1.  How does one do this?

Use ResEdit to remove INIT 12.  No harmful side-effects or bitter aftertaste.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (03/14/91)

In article <AbrhV2S00iV0E7PVY2@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>I saw a discussion a while back on getting rid of that annoying startup
>dialog in system 7.0b1.  How does one do this?

     Well, naturally I wouldn't recommend modifying experimental Apple System
Software in any way, particularly by removing safety warnings provided for
the user's protection, but a reckless and disrespectful soul might be able
to achieve the desired treasonous results by removing INIT 12 from the System
file with ResEdit.
     Naturally, I never told you this. :]

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell) (03/14/91)

Using Resedit, cut out init( id 12) from the finder(I believe).  Try it.

Danny

Danny W. McCampbell
Computer Operator/Systems Analyst
UT Computing Center
*Jesus is Lord of All*

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (03/14/91)

All you have to do is remove INIT resource 12 from the System file.  No
more will the pesky startup dialog assail you senses.