[comp.sys.mac.system] User scripting in 7.x?

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (03/14/91)

According to the first press releases for System 7.0, Apple would release
something called "user scripting" which to me sounded like the closest thing
to a CLI available for the Macintosh, although something more akin to
Macromaker seems more likely.  Then I believe the "user scripting" was
delayed for the System version that will follow System 7.0.

Questions:  (1) What details do we have on the user scripting?  Will we
be able to, say, specify a bunch of files (using wildcards, of course) as
inputs to a certain program, and then rout the output of that program to
a second program, and rout the output of both programs to a third?  Or
is it going to be more like another keyboard macro program?
(2) Any idea on when it will arrive?  (Yeah, right, like Apple would tell us
that anyway.  :(    Oh well.)

bill

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/14/91)

> the closest thing to a CLI available for the Macintosh

Isn't that MPW?
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/14/91)

In article <27DF36E7.19478@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>According to the first press releases for System 7.0, Apple would release
>something called "user scripting" which to me sounded like the closest thing
>to a CLI available for the Macintosh ...
>
>Questions:  (1) What details do we have on the user scripting?  Will we
>be able to, say, specify a bunch of files (using wildcards, of course) as
>inputs to a certain program, and then rout the output of that program to
>a second program, and rout the output of both programs to a third?  Or
>is it going to be more like another keyboard macro program?

I suspect it'll be more along the lines of "when a file is put into
this folder, do such-and-such" or "at precisely this time, execute
this list of actions", where the actions include opening applications
and sending AppleEvents to them, sending files to the printer, and so
forth.

I really don't think it'll be anything that looks like a CLI.  Apple
is decidedly anti-CLI, for better or worse (probably for the better,
because if they provide a CLI, then people will come to use it, and
then come to depend on it, and this would mean there's something wrong
with their desktop interface.  Actually, I can't think of any
_revolutionary_ benefits a CLI would bring to the Mac except piping
and redirection, but then again how do you pipe anything to and from a
word processor?)  Besides, wildcards aren't necessarily intuitive...

>(2) Any idea on when it will arrive?  (Yeah, right, like Apple would tell us
>that anyway.  :(    Oh well.)

DIfferent reports have speculated that it'd be released either with
`System 7.1' or `System 8.0'.  AppleScript has been shelved until
everything else has settled down enough to devote some time to it, as
has been the new print architecture and other tasks on the to-do list
such as a rewrite of MacinTalk (no, the 2.0 floating around isn't
real).

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/14/91)

In article <27DF36E7.19478@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>something called "user scripting" which to me sounded like the closest thing
>to a CLI available for the Macintosh, although something more akin to
>Macromaker seems more likely.

There is a CLI for the Macintosh; the MPW shell.  You can say things like:

WriteNow foo*

('Course, you don't use '*', you use option-x.  This is an important
human-factors issue; it forces your hands into awkward positions to
reduce RMS :-))

I infer from other's comments that the user scripting will be more like
HyperTalk than anything else.  Whether it will have goodies like pattern
matching, I haven't heard.  HyperTalk doesn't (as of 1.x; haven't looked
much at 2.0 yet), if that is any indication.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (03/15/91)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>In article <27DF36E7.19478@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>>According to the first press releases for System 7.0, Apple would release
>>something called "user scripting" which to me sounded like the closest thing
>>to a CLI available for the Macintosh ...
>>
>>Questions:  (1) What details do we have on the user scripting?  Will we
>>be able to, say, specify a bunch of files (using wildcards, of course) as
>>inputs to a certain program, and then rout the output of that program to
>>a second program, and rout the output of both programs to a third?  Or
>>is it going to be more like another keyboard macro program?

>I suspect it'll be more along the lines of "when a file is put into
>this folder, do such-and-such" or "at precisely this time, execute
>>(2) Any idea on when it will arrive?  (Yeah, right, like Apple would tell us
>>that anyway.  :(    Oh well.)

>DIfferent reports have speculated that it'd be released either with
>`System 7.1' or `System 8.0'.  AppleScript has been shelved until
>everything else has settled down enough to devote some time to it, as
>has been the new print architecture and other tasks on the to-do list
>such as a rewrite of MacinTalk (no, the 2.0 floating around isn't
>real).

  And the Line/Layout Manager... this was something I was really
looking forward to in 7.0, a way to get ligatures and precise line
measurement/kerning etc, so that Mac output can finally look like TeX
output.

  Any guesses as to when System 7.1, or System 8.0 will appear??  I
certainly hope it's before the end of 1992.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

lai@Apple.COM (Ed Lai) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.142609.17874@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <27DF36E7.19478@orion.oac.uci.edu> bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:
>>something called "user scripting" which to me sounded like the closest thing
>>to a CLI available for the Macintosh, although something more akin to
>>Macromaker seems more likely.
>
>There is a CLI for the Macintosh; the MPW shell.  You can say things like:
>
>WriteNow foo*
>
>('Course, you don't use '*', you use option-x.  This is an important
>human-factors issue; it forces your hands into awkward positions to
>reduce RMS :-))
>
>I infer from other's comments that the user scripting will be more like
>HyperTalk than anything else.  Whether it will have goodies like pattern
>matching, I haven't heard.  HyperTalk doesn't (as of 1.x; haven't looked
>much at 2.0 yet), if that is any indication.
>--
>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
>Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

Of course most people would prefer a scripting language that looks like
HyperTalk than MPW scripts, so it is likely that Apple's scripting language
will look more than HyperTalk than MPW scripts. However that does not prevent
you from using MPW scripts in MPW (or any another scripting language) as your
own personal scripting language provided that your scripting language can send
AppleEvents. So in the case of MPW, you need a MPW tool to send AppleEvents.
Such a tool may be available in developer CD or channel like that.

/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS37-UP                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */
zW@h9cOi