[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0b4 init/cdev woes

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (03/07/91)

     I've been experimenting with 7.0b4 (I have a relative who's a Partner, so
I have some shallow semblance of a legitimate excuse :] ), and I love some of
the new features, but I had to rip out nearly every init and cdev in my
System Folder to make the thing boot successfully.  Admittedly, quite a few of
them are redundant, but I miss some of them (like Boomerang) so badly that I'm
almost ready to switch back to 6.0.7 to have them back.
     Does anyone out there have a list of what inits and cdevs work with 7.0b4,
and if so, what if anything has to be done to make them work?
     Here's the inits/cdevs I used under 6.0.7: init cdev 3.0; Fortune II;
32-bit QuickDraw 1.2; CEToolbox 1.2; CPSDeleteTracking 2.1; DFaultD 2.03;
DiskTop.Extras 1.0; InUse 2.0; MacEnvy 2.0; MacsBug 6.2a4; Magic Menu 2.0;
Mr. Bus Error; Pyro 3.3.1; Quote INIT 2.0; SCSI Tools 1.0; SFScrollInit;
SFVolInit 1.5; Suitcase II 1.2.8; SuperClock 3.9; Temperament 2.0; Boomerang
2.0; Facade 1.0.1; Disinfectant INIT 2.4.
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.
   "If you can keep your head while those about you are losing theirs,
      consider an exciting career as a guillotine operator!"

Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) (03/09/91)

Recently Steve Klingsporn posted a fix that made MaxApplZoom work in System 7.
The problem there was not with MAZ, but with ShowINIT and displaying color
icons during startup.  The fix was to use ResEdit to remove all cicn's from MAZ
(or at least all those which it may show during startup).  It seems to me that
this would work for other INITs and cdevs as well.  Or at least get you one
step farther towards compatibility. :-)

You may notice that if you do this, when the INIT loads you won't see the color
icon, and instead will hear a beep.

Eric Baumgartner                      Internet:  ebaum@dartmouth.edu
Interactive Media Lab                 Applelink: DARTMED
Dartmouth Medical School              -- This space for rent. --

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) (03/15/91)

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
>     Here's the inits/cdevs I used under 6.0.7: init cdev 3.0;

Lessee. To disable extensions hold down the SHIFT key while booting until
you see the message. That'll let you play with your INITs (renamed
extensions in 7.0). I'm using a new extension manager that's still in Alpha
test, myself. Aask also (from what I've been told) works.

Fortune II;

dunno

>32-bit QuickDraw 1.2;

7.0 should have a version if it's not built in.

CEToolbox 1.2;

Current version is 1.5.1i -- works fine under 7.0b4 (so does Disktop 4.0.1
and the Disktop extras, so DT Launch works).

CPSDeleteTracking 2.1; DFaultD 2.03;

dunno

>DiskTop.Extras 1.0;

Works fine (see above)

>InUse 2.0; MacEnvy 2.0;

I've seen InUse work. I assume MacEnvy should.

>MacsBug 6.2a4;

I'm using 6.2 final. Works fine.

>Magic Menu 2.0;

Dunno. Doubt it.

>Mr. Bus Error;

What's this?

>Pyro 3.3.1;

Pyro 4.? works.

>Quote INIT 2.0; SCSI Tools 1.0;

Dunno. Scsiprobe does work, though.

>SFScrollInit;

You're using this AND Boomerang? Not a good idea.

>SFVolInit 1.5;

Ditto -- doesn't this duplicate boomerang functionality?

>Suitcase II 1.2.8;

Works with 1.2.9.

>SuperClock 3.9;

Works fine.

>Temperament 2.0;

dunno.

>Boomerang 2.0;

Super Boomerang 2.0.3 works just great. Boomie doesn't and probably won't.
Time to pay for the real thing...

>Facade 1.0.1; Disinfectant INIT 2.4.

Facade is pretty much obsolete, since 7.0 lets you change the icons. Virus
inits are probably going to hae to be upgraded.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: BONE DANCE by Emma Bull; BLIND JUSTICE by S.N. Lewitt;
SCIENCE FICTION IN THE REAL WORLD by Norman Spinrad

tecot@momenta.com (Ed Tecot) (03/16/91)

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, net.god {retired}) writes:
>phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
>>     Here's the inits/cdevs I used under 6.0.7: init cdev 3.0;

>>32-bit QuickDraw 1.2;
>7.0 should have a version if it's not built in.
It's built in.

>>Magic Menu 2.0;
>Dunno. Doubt it.
No, it doesn't - it turns itself off under 7.0.  This is intentional since
Magic Menu does some mucking about in the Finder.

>>Mr. Bus Error;
>What's this?
It forces applications to generate bus errors when the access a NIL pointer
or handle.  Generally used for debuging your own apps.

>>Quote INIT 2.0; SCSI Tools 1.0;
>Dunno. Scsiprobe does work, though.
SCSI Tools 1.0 works just fine.

>>Facade 1.0.1; Disinfectant INIT 2.4.
>Facade is pretty much obsolete, since 7.0 lets you change the icons. Virus
>inits are probably going to hae to be upgraded.
Disinfectant INIT 2.4 works.

						_emt