[comp.sys.mac.system] What's a .gif file?

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Fred Dushin) (03/10/91)

Title says it all, but I'm also interested in knowing (i) how
I can use them (i.e., translate to a readable format), and
(ii) how to transfer them from a mainframe to a mac.

py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Eugenio Sanchez Pe~a) (03/16/91)

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Fred Dushin) writes:

>Title says it all, but I'm also interested in knowing (i) how
>I can use them (i.e., translate to a readable format), and
>(ii) how to transfer them from a mainframe to a mac.

	A GIF file (Graphics Interchange Format) is a graphic standard used
by CompuServe to distribute their graphics; it has become, with TIFF, a de
facto standard. It contains a bit map of the graphic, along with some info
about it (its dimensions, bit depth, etc.) I don't know its exact format,
but I think there's a TPU unit to manage it; sorry, it's on DOS.
	To transfer GIFs from a mainframe, you use the normal FTP, just make
sure that you're using the IMAGE/BINARY transfer mode. There are a lot of
utilities to manage GIFs, to convert them to TIFF, to change it to a PostScript
file, etc. If you want the latter, just e-mail me, and I'll send u a copy of
the program.

Eugenio Sanchez			|  Todo lo que diga es responsabilidad de la
py198723@academ01.mty.itesm.mx	|  unica neurona que tengo trabajando.
jsanchez@roxette.mty.itesm.mx	|  'Si os dan papel pautado, escribid por el
jsanchez@foreigner.mty.itesm.mx	|   otro lado' - J. Ramon Jimenez
py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx	|  All opinions r mine; I try to be original.