[comp.sys.mac.system] Stupid Finder Tricks

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (03/14/91)

Ok, so I was bored. But, I found out this neato little thing about the Finder
(at least in 6.0.7-I don't know if it's a new "feature" or not).

Use the marquee to Select more than one folder in the Finder
(either those on the Desktop or those in a window). If you choose Open (Cmd-O)
from the File menu, or double click on one of the folders, all of them open.

But the question is, in what order do they open? I thought that it would maybe
do it in alphabetical order, or maybe in "geographic" order (from left top to
right bottom on the window grid). But it turns out that it does neither.
Instead, it opens the folders in the order that they were last opened. The
folder that was most recently opened will open last and its window will
therefore appear on the top of the stack of open windows.

Not particularly earth-shattering, but at least interesting.

-Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu (David F. Rubinic) (03/17/91)

In article <12417.27de9cfe@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>Ok, so I was bored. But, I found out this neato little thing about the Finder
>(at least in 6.0.7-I don't know if it's a new "feature" or not).
>
>Use the marquee to Select more than one folder in the Finder
>(either those on the Desktop or those in a window). If you choose Open (Cmd-O)
>from the File menu, or double click on one of the folders, all of them open.
>
>But the question is, in what order do they open? I thought that it would maybe
>do it in alphabetical order, or maybe in "geographic" order (from left top to
>right bottom on the window grid). But it turns out that it does neither.
>Instead, it opens the folders in the order that they were last opened. The
>folder that was most recently opened will open last and its window will
>therefore appear on the top of the stack of open windows.
>
>Not particularly earth-shattering, but at least interesting.
>
>-Kevin Bolduan
>KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

   That is in 6.0.5 as well, so it's probably in them all.  Something else
that you may find interesting, is that if you have a window with alot of
folders in it, and select them as a group, they will be highlighted in the
order they were last selected.  Of course you can select folders (or files for
that matter) individually, in different orders, and observe the interesting
patterns that you can create with group selecting.

udrubini@mcs.drexel.edu             "But ours go to eleven..."
                                       - Spinal Tap