[comp.sys.mac.system] Where are the TrueType Outline Fonts????

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (03/17/91)

I downloaded the mac-printing-tools and true-type fonts from apple.com but all
I got where the TrueType Screen fonts, I didn't get any outline fonts with them
. Where are these obtainable? Would I need the TrueType Init too? If anyone has
 the fonts and the init, could they send it to me? Thanks...
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::Sari Khoury               Art Department             ::
::3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET      Central Michigan University::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"Our true nationality is mankind." -- H.G. Wells.

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) (03/18/91)

In article <91076.0953573XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET>, Sari Khoury
<3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> says:

>I downloaded the mac-printing-tools and true-type fonts from apple.com but all
>I got where the TrueType Screen fonts, I didn't get any outline fonts with
>them
>. Where are these obtainable? Would I need the TrueType Init too? If anyone
>has
> the fonts and the init, could they send it to me? Thanks...

You have the outline fonts. You DO need the TrueType init that is included
with either of the two other files (I downloaded the one for installing the
StyleWriter). Someone else posted that they had trouble getting Word to
recognize the TrueType fonts. Maybe you also don't have the init installed
in your system file. I do, and the TrueType fonts appear to work quite well
in my preliminary tests with Word 4.0B.

Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0121

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (03/18/91)

In article <91076.0953573XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> 3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) writes:
>I downloaded the mac-printing-tools and true-type fonts from apple.com but all
>I got where the TrueType Screen fonts, I didn't get any outline fonts with them
>. Where are these obtainable? Would I need the TrueType Init too? If anyone has
> the fonts and the init, could they send it to me? Thanks...

     You need either the StyleWriter or the Personal LaserWriter LS
installation disks, which are available from the same place on apple.com.
Both of these disks have the TrueType INIT, which lets 6.0.7 use the TrueType
outline fonts.  You'll also find a new version of Font/DA Mover, which is
necessary to see the TrueType outline fonts in the font suitcases on the
truetype-fonts disk.  (BTW, for the System 7 users out there, you may have
noticed that the System 7 betas don't come with Font/DA Mover, and that the
Finder won't let you run System 6's Font/DA Mover.  The new 4.something version
on the StyleWriter/Personal LaserWriter LS disks *will* run and work under
System 7.  It's not as useful a tool since you can just drag fonts between
suitcases yourself, but it is handy if you want/need to create a new suitcase
file for some reason (you don't have to duplicate an existing suitcase and then
drag everything out of it to the Trash).

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.