[comp.sys.mac.system] My icon's vanished under system 7!

labc-1ic@e260-4c.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) (03/19/91)

While using System 7.0b5 the other day, I noticed that my StuffIt Deluxe
icon had vanished--in fact, the whole bundle of associated icons is gone.
All SIT archives now have generic document icons, and StuffIt Deluxe itself
has a generic application icon.  However, the icons for the engine & the
help & other things are OK.

I have rebuilt the desktop numerous times under System 6 & System 7 from
scratch, and this problem still persists.  I even reinstalled SITD on the
chance that the BNDL was corrupted, but that didn't work either.  Despite the
loss of the icons, the desktop still knows that SIT archives belong to the
StuffIt Deluxe application (the BNDL seems to be intact).  Can anyone help?
This is extremely annoying (I like color icons) but does not seem to present
a major problem otherwise.

Willy Liao
labc-1ic@web.berkeley.edu

labc-1ic@e260-1f.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.204627.29047@agate.berkeley.edu> labc-1ic@e260-4c.berkeley.edu (Willy S. Liao) writes:
>While using System 7.0b5 the other day, I noticed that my StuffIt Deluxe
>icon had vanished--in fact, the whole bundle of associated icons is gone.
>All SIT archives now have generic document icons, and StuffIt Deluxe itself
>has a generic application icon.  However, the icons for the engine & the
>help & other things are OK.
>
>I have rebuilt the desktop numerous times under System 6 & System 7 from
>scratch, and this problem still persists.  I even reinstalled SITD on the
>chance that the BNDL was corrupted, but that didn't work either.  Despite the
>loss of the icons, the desktop still knows that SIT archives belong to the
>StuffIt Deluxe application (the BNDL seems to be intact).  Can anyone help?
>This is extremely annoying (I like color icons) but does not seem to present
>a major problem otherwise.

Well, I found out why, or at least I think I did--Finder is confused by the
unstuffer documents, which are all of type SIT! and possess their own bundles.
By removing SITD from the disk, my archives turned in Optimal/Better Unstuffer
documents.  So, by removing the unstuffer documents & putting SITD back on
the disk, & the rebuilding the desktop, the problem went away...But I'm left
wondering if this a bug or a feature in Finder 7.

Willy Liao
labc-1ic@web.berkeley.edu