[comp.sys.mac.system] Disabling TrueType in System 7.0?

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (03/20/91)

My message was too negative and I tried to cancel it at the news
server.  This did not work.  So let me apologize for criticizing Apple
so heavily.  Someone at Apple responded to an earlier message.

> From: dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy)
> Subject: Re: TrueType glitch?

> Did you try this with the new LaserWriter driver (6.1) that comes
> with the TrueType disks?

	(yes I used the 6.1 driver, the one with the ampersand picture)

> The rules for downloading 'sfnt's are:
> - use the ROM fonts
> - if no ROM fonts are available, download the PostScript font, if available
> - if no PostScript font is found, download the sfnt if the RIP
>   directly supports TrueType
> - if the RIP doesn't support TrueType directly download a patch and
>   the sfnt if the printer can handle it
> - convert to type 1 font and download if the printer can't take the patch
> - convert to type 3 outlines and download if the printer can't take the
>   type 1s
> - give up and use the bitmap...

> I don't think that the last step ever needs to get hit.

> But, if you are using the old LaserWriter driver, all you are going
> to see are the first 2 and last step, which is your problem.

> [It does not matter whether you are printing to a file or to a real
> printer.]  The driver doesn't query the device, it sends an adobe
> approved format that works on all devices, with the swaps being done
> on the device.

> The format of the font is actually all encompasing - it contains the 'sfnt',
> the type 1 and the type 3 - the type 3 actually isn't much data, as
> it is more of a "mutation" of the data within the 'sfnt' itself.

> The font can be large, remember that PostScript requires that the
> data be sent as hex, so 2 fonts may very well be 450K or so.

> Tom Dowdy                 Internet:  dowdy@apple.COM
> Apple Computer MS:81EQ    UUCP:      {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
> 20525 Mariani Ave         AppleLink: DOWDY1
> Cupertino, CA 95014
> "The 'Ooh-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

In my case it seemed that *one* font was 450K.

Are you saying that every truetype print job will contain
  (1) a laserwriter assembly patch
and, for every font printed --
  (2) the 'sfnt'
  (3) a type 1 postscript font
  (4) changes to make it a type 3 postscript font if necessary

What is the exact size of (1), and (2) + (3) + (4) for each font
(times, symbol, courier, helvetica)?  Is it really 450K per font?

Can you convince the postscript driver, when it writes a disk file,
that truetype postscript fonts will be found on the printer, so they
(and the assembly patch) can be omitted from the download file?

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL
"UGH!  WAR! ... What is it GOOD FOR?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
	- the song "WAR" by Edwin Starr, circa 1971