[comp.sys.mac.system] question about file types in 6.0.x

triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu (nick b triantos) (03/19/91)

Hi.

I've noticed a problem with 6.0.4, and now, I've just installed 6.0.7, and the
problem still arises:  It seems as though when I have a lot of documents
created by the same program, many of them lose their type and become files of
another data file's type.  For example, I have tons of SoundEdit files that
I've made or downloaded.  One of them was "I'll be back".  Now, instead of all
of them being files of type "SoundEdit document", some are "I'll be back
document".  I rebuilt the desktop once, but that kills any messages put in the
Get Info text window, so I'd rather not do that again.  Has anyone else ever
had this happen?  I'm working on an SE/2MB, tons of INITs/CDEVs.

Thanks.
  __         |    _____                   |             "But Krusty the Clown
 /  \  o  _  |/  /  |  \  _  o  __   __  -+-  __   ___   has small feet, like
|    | | /   |\     |    / \ | /  | /  \  |  /  \ (___   all good-hearted
\    / | \_  | \    |    |   | \_/| |  |  \_ \__/  ___)  people." -- B.S.
Nick B Triantos,     University at Buffalo,     Department of Computer Science
INTERNET: triantos@cs.buffalo.edu  BITNET: triantos%cs.buffalo.edu@ubvm.bitnet
UUCP: ...!{apple,boulder,cornell,decwrl,rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!triantos

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (03/19/91)

In article <66223@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, triantos@acsu.buffalo.edu (nick b triantos) writes:
> ...  For example, I have tons of SoundEdit files that
> I've made or downloaded.  One of them was "I'll be back".  Now, instead of all
> of them being files of type "SoundEdit document", some are "I'll be back
> document".  I rebuilt the desktop once, but that kills any messages put in the
> Get Info text window, so I'd rather not do that again.  Has anyone else ever
> had this happen?

The bundle bit is set on the "I'll be back" document.  This causes the Finder
to think the other documents of the same type are "owned" by the one with
the bundle bit set.  Clear the bundle bit on the document (with ResEdit, or
some other file info editor).  At the same time, clear the Inited bit.  This
should make the Finder "re-sync" and start treating the application as the
owner of the documents again.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanies
Apple Computer, Inc.

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (03/20/91)

The utility application BundAid does a good job of fixing bundle
bit problems without having to use Resedit.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/20/91)

In article <12608@goofy.Apple.COM>, Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott)
suggests clearing a spuriously-set bundle bit in order to solve a problem
with incorrect document icons.

The trouble is, won't there still be an "application" entry in the
desktop database, pointing to the document that had the bundle bit
set? This is the entry that says that, when the user double-clicks on
a document of type "SFX!", the Finder is to launch the application
"SoundEdit". Greg also suggests clearing the "Inited" bit as well,
but my impression was all that bit did was tell the Finder that the icon
hadn't been assigned a position in its containing window yet.

The problem with having that spurious application entry, is that
when you try double-clicking on a sound file, the Finder will try
to launch "I'll be back", discover it isn't an application, and
give you the "application is busy or missing" message. I think this
will continue to happen even after you've cleared the bundle bit
on "I'll be back".

The only easy way to get rid of the spurious application entry
is to trash the file it points to. No point trying to duplicate
it first in the Finder, as that will just result in another
application entry pointing to the duplicate.

My technique for deleting the application entry while keeping the file
was to do the duplicate with some other file utility. If you're not
running MultiFinder, then it's easy enough to clear the bundle bit
on the duplicate, quit back to the Finder, and trash the original
from there (don't use the file utility to delete the troublesome
original, or it'll leave the application entry behind).

If you're running MultiFinder, then you have to clear the bundle
bit on the duplicate before the Finder sees it. If the volume/folder
window containing the file is closed, there's no problem. Otherwise,
you have to be quick.

Another simple answer: open the offending sound file with SoundEdit
(or some other sound-editing program), and save it under a different
name. The new copy won't have the bundle bit set. Then trash the original.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00