[comp.sys.mac.system] Rumored problem with 6.0.7.

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) (03/08/91)

Some one just told me that 6.0.7 is mainly for the new macs (si, lc, classic,
etc.).  The problem I see is that Hypercard 2.0 will only run on 6.0.7.
I have an SE/30 and IIx at work and a plus at home. Has anyone with the same
computer setup had a problem with 6.0.7.?   Better yet, has anyone read the
issue of MacWeek that this article was posted in?

Just curious (and a little neurotic, too),

Jason S. White
6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

_______________--------------------------_________________

                Voodoo Hippies
                            Eat Cheese!

--------------___________________________-----------------

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (03/08/91)

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) writes:

>Some one just told me that 6.0.7 is mainly for the new macs (si, lc, classic,
>etc.).  The problem I see is that Hypercard 2.0 will only run on 6.0.7.
>I have an SE/30 and IIx at work and a plus at home. Has anyone with the same
>computer setup had a problem with 6.0.7.?   Better yet, has anyone read the
>issue of MacWeek that this article was posted in?

This should be on an FAQ list somewhere if it is not already. I don't
receive MacWeek, but I am starting to believe that every issue contains
one misleading comment or perhaps outright mistakes.

6.0.7 is officially usable on any machine Mac Plus and up. It contains
several bug fixes and updates that apply to even the lower machines.
I find it ridiculous that some software companies still insist on
sending out older versions of the OS and Installer with their products.
This may be the fault of Apple not saying specifically "Always use
6.0.7", but it still irks me. There is no reason not to use it and
every reason to. I have never experienced any problems crashing with
6.0.7, and I am under the impression that people that have such problems
are encountering INIT and other program difficulties.

You do *not* need 6.0.7 for Hypercard 2.0. You only need 6.0.5.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (03/10/91)

"There is no reason not to use it and every reason to. I have never experienced
any problems crashing with 6.0.7, and I am under the impression that people
that have such problems are encountering INIT and other program difficulties."
-resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu

Well, I USED to run 6.0.7 on my SE/30, a machine which doesn't NEED 6.0.7,
only 6.0.5, but I got too many crashes, so I switched back. The problem was so
bad, that I used "Blesser", and if I had real work to do, I'd bless the
system folder with 6.0.5 to write a paper, for example.

In my book, encountering INIT and other program difficulties DOES count as a
pretty good reason not to run it since I don't need to. Funny, I had to do the
same thing when first getting 6.0.5; i.e. 6.0.3 was the "safe" system version
to be running...

I'm still holding my breath for 7.0....

[but for anyone who read my post in comp.sys.mac.hardware, yes it is true that
my SE/30 is temp. non-functional... maybe I ought to start looking in comp.sys
mac.wanted for good deals...;-) ]

--
| Beep Beep Beavers * WFNX 101.7 * Words like violence/ Break the silence/    |
| Come crashing in/ Into my little world.-DM * I KNOW that it's Einstuerzende |

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (03/10/91)

Unfortunately for those who have reported problems with 6.0.7, Apple's
new printers and the System 6.x version of TrueType require 6.0.7.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (03/14/91)

As quoted from <9730@hub.ucsb.edu> by 6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White):
+---------------
| Some one just told me that 6.0.7 is mainly for the new macs (si, lc, classic,
| etc.).  The problem I see is that Hypercard 2.0 will only run on 6.0.7.
+---------------

It is... in the sense that it was intended to provide support for those
machines.  But the tech notes that come with the online release prove that it
has bug fixes for *all* Macs.  Plus the System 7 Sound Driver.

+---------------
| I have an SE/30 and IIx at work and a plus at home. Has anyone with the same
| computer setup had a problem with 6.0.7.?   Better yet, has anyone read the
| issue of MacWeek that this article was posted in?
+---------------

I dunno about MacWeek, but the worst problem I've had so far (aside form
having to wait until HC2.0 came in, because the droids at the local "Apple
Authorized Dealer" think HC1.2.2 is still the current 1.x version) is that
every time I run an app for the first time under 6.0.7, it installs a resource
in System.  GateKeeper was going nuts... then again, it's an old version, so
maybe I'm seeing something that's normal.  I've set it to Notify for the nonce.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    Ham: KB8JRR on 40m, 10m when time
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		      permits; also 2m, 220, 440, 1200

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (03/14/91)

In article <9730@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
(Jason S. White) writes:
>+---------------
>| Some one just told me that 6.0.7 is mainly for the new macs (si, lc, classic,
>| etc.).  The problem I see is that Hypercard 2.0 will only run on 6.0.7.
>+---------------

Not true.  HyperCard 2.0 runs with System 6.0.5; in fact 6.0.5 should be
system version of choice for Hypercard fans -- it's the only one that
lets you run both 1.2.5 and 2.0.

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

jacob@latcs1.oz.au (Jacob L. Cybulski) (03/18/91)

As quoted from <9730@hub.ucsb.edu> by 6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White):
> Some one just told me that 6.0.7 is mainly for the new macs (si, lc, classic,
> The problem I see is that Hypercard 2.0 will only run on 6.0.7.

Hypercard 2.0 should work under 6.0.5!

Jacob

Christopher.C.Kagy@dartmouth.edu (Christopher C. Kagy) (03/21/91)

I think that 6.0.5 is the minimum system required for TrueType.  That's
what I'm running right now, in fact.

-Chris