[comp.sys.mac.system] A few questions.

[Please honor followup line]
In article <5516@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c. adamson) writes:
>I just installed system 6.0.7 (thanks to apple's ftp site - would you
>believe that the last time I got a system software upgrade from a dealer
>it came complete with complimentary WDEF virus) and I have a few questions:
>
>1) Why have apple decided to make the colored apple at the top of my
>apple menu bigger? It's only one pixel bigger in each direction, but
>it looks UGLY (in my opinion anyway). Looks like I'll have ResEdit out
>tonight to get the old icon from system 6.0.5.

Yep, I did that.

>2) I was looking through some of the installer resources the other week
>and I noticed a dialog that displays a credit message about the authors
>saying things like "Totally righteous dude" and asking which of 5
>"wait" cursors I want to use. The cursor resources are there too, but I
>couldn't find a way to bring up the dialog. Has anyone out there managed
>to do this? (This was on the 6.0.5 installer, it may have been removed
>by 6.0.7

It's still there-- 'ski' at the main screen, like 6.0.5 and the 7.0 alpha.
BTW, did you notice the comment about running out of memory in the DiskCopy
Documentation:  If this message appears, you do not have enough memory to
duplicate even a single 400K disk.  You are probably running under Multifinder
with a wimpy partition, or on a Mac less than a Plus.  In either case, you
should be shot.

>3) (On a slightly more serious note) Why don't apple make more extensive
>use of the Edit menu in the finder? What I'm specifically referring
>to is the ability to undo things like moving files and deleting. Sure,
>You can undo a deletion by dragging from the trash, but shouldn't the
>Undo command (or cmd-Z) do this too? On this topic, couldn't the Cut,
>Copy and Paste commands work on files, rather than just file names?
>Sure, the clipboard couldn't hold the whole file, but it COULD hold a
>symbolic representation of the file (which would, in the case of Cut
>be placed in a temporary folder - perhaps the Trash folder in system 7).

YEAH!

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (03/22/91)

I have a few questions about TrueType.  This may not be the correct place to
ask them, and so I'd ask anybody to direct any flames (as well as any replies)
to me, and if there's enough interest, I'll summarize and post.

First, is there anyway to convert a bitmapped font to a TrueType font?  This may
     be a rather naive question, but I've heard rumours that it can be done &
     I'm wondering if it's true.

Second, has anybody besides me had any compatibility problems between TrueType
     and applications?  The problems I've had are usually in my word processor
     (because that's the only place I've used the fonts, so far).  Once in a
     while I'll press one key and get another symbol (usually one of the option
     symbols) or try to type a typographical quote (curly quote) and get a '"'
     or the smartkeys option in my word processor never works to give me the
     curly-quotes.  The configuration I'm using is FW Pro 1.1, Sys 6.0.7 &
     accompanying stuff and assorted inits.  But I've tried it with Vanilla
     Sys 6.0.7 & brand-new copy of the processor, and the same thing happens.

Thanx in advance.  Please mail any replies directly to me.

Doug Renze
                internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
                  Delphi:  drenze