[comp.sys.mac.system] 6.0.7 latest version

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (03/19/91)

I noticed in comp.sys.mac.programmer that 'beta' versions of 6.0.7
were mentioned.  Perhaps someone could clarify exactly what the latest
(non-beta) version is and post it's size and creation date.  I would
be interested to see if the version shipped with my IIsi is indeed
a beta version, or even an up-to-date version.

Richard Williams,                                  |
Department of Electronics and Computer Science,    |
Southampton University,                            |  EMAIL ADDRESS:
Highfield,                                         |  rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Southampton.                                       |

John.Aspden@uk.ac.newcastle (John Aspden) (03/20/91)

In article <7209@ecs.soton.ac.uk> rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD)
writes:
> I noticed in comp.sys.mac.programmer that 'beta' versions of 6.0.7
> were mentioned.  Perhaps someone could clarify exactly what the latest
> (non-beta) version is and post it's size and creation date.  I would
> be interested to see if the version shipped with my IIsi is indeed
> a beta version, or even an up-to-date version.

Apple do not ship beta versions of software to end-users. What you have
probably seen in c.s.m.programmer are references to system 7.0b1 and 7.0b4
which are beta versions of the not-yet-released system 7, which have been
distributed to registered developers only.

Another possible confusion is that "About the Finder" will tell you that
you have System version B1-6.0.7. The 'B' here means British. (Apple's
naming conventions use a lower-case b after the version number to indicate
beta (see above); upper case prefixes are used to indicate
internationalised software versions.

John Aspden, Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle on Tyne, UK
email: john.aspden@newcastle.ac.uk  phone: +44 91 222 8069 fax: ...8572

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (03/22/91)

In article <7209@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) writes:

> I noticed in comp.sys.mac.programmer that 'beta' versions of 6.0.7
> were mentioned.  Perhaps someone could clarify exactly what the latest
> (non-beta) version is and post it's size and creation date.  I would
> be interested to see if the version shipped with my IIsi is indeed
> a beta version, or even an up-to-date version.

The version "in the box" is the final version.  Apple doesn't put beta
versions of system sofware in CPU boxes.  (at least not on purpose :)

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.