[comp.sys.mac.system] Problems Generating PostScript--Bug in Driver?

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.221116.15604@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) writes:
>There's been a lot of talk about generating PostScript files, and how to
>modify the LaserWriter driver to send PostScript over a Serial Port.  After
>getting a IIsi I realized I could use my old non-Mac system (with its
>laser printer capable of printing PostScript files) as a printer for my Mac.
>After writing a small program on the old system to read in a file from the
>serial port and send it to the printer, I modified the LaserWriter (well,
>a copy of it) driver as documented in previous posts to send POstScript
>over the serial port.  It all worked fine until a tried printing an 8-page
>document from MS-Word 3.02.   When printed, there were 4-5 lines missing from
>various places.  I verified that it wasn't a problem with the little program
>I had written to receive the file over the serial line, so I began to wonder
>if the Mac might be screwing up.  I set the current printer back to the
>original LaserWriter driver and tried to generate a PostScript file on the
>Mac by hitting cmd-f.  When I looked out the PostScript0 file that was
>generated after doing this, it was missing the same lines that were missing
>from the printed text.  Anyone have an explanation for this?  The driver version
>is 5.2.  There has been mention of a 6.0 LaserWriter driver, but I can't seem
>to find it.  The version on my system disk (that came with the IIsi) is
>Version 5.2.  Any suggestions??
>
>Ron D.

Please disregard this post.  The problem turned out to be that I had a
7" wide text area with a .75" left margin and a 1" right margin.  It doesn't
take a math major to see that this adds up to 8.75" when the page width is
only 8.5".  When I adjusted the margins to .75" each, everything worked
fine.

Ron D.