[comp.sys.mac.system] Mach10 from Tenon

creemer@ohm.sw.mcc.com (David Z. Creemer) (03/07/91)

Does anyone have any experience using Tenon's MachTen? Their
information packet makes some *very* impressive claims, and I am
curious as to how well the manage to deliver on them. According to
their information packet, MachTen is a UNIX for any Macintosh, with
the following features:

* Mach 2.5 Keynel
* BSD 4.3 Reno
* TCP/IP, UUCP, NFS
* Mac applications multitasking with UNIX applications (MachTen
  replaces MultiFinder & does preemptive multitasking)
* Uses the MacOS File system (no separate partitions)
* 32 bit clean or dirty no problem
* 2MB ram minimun, 4MB recommended for development system
* 20 MB disk minimun
* (priced from about $600 to about $1500 depending on how many users
   or manuals you want, and whether or not you need the development
   stuff).

This seems like a pretty neat package, if it works... I'd like to hear
for some (hopefully satisfied) users before I spend $600.

Thanks in advance,

-- David

--
David Creemer | MCC Software Technology Program |    creemer@mcc.com
512 338-3403  | 3500 W Balcones Center Dr., Austin, Texas 78759-6509

time@tbomb (03/09/91)

In article <2995@ohm.sw.mcc.com>, creemer@ohm.sw.mcc.com (David Z. Creemer) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience using Tenon's MachTen? Their
> information packet makes some *very* impressive claims, and I am
> curious as to how well the manage to deliver on them. According to
> their information packet, MachTen is a UNIX for any Macintosh, with
> the following features:

We attempted to get a copy to try with a product we developed and
sell for A/UX. However, they claim they are only in beta now, and
can not release any copies of it. When we asked if we could simply
pay for a release copy now, so we could look at the beta copy to
decide if it had any potential at all, they refused.

My conclusion was that either they really need a marketing person,
or the product is no where close to release and is too unstable to let
any real customers see.

Does look impressive in the cute literature though.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

aksguest@engrhub (03/23/91)

In article <1CE00001.qz0he1@tbomb.ice.com> you write:

>In article <2995@ohm.sw.mcc.com>, creemer@ohm.sw.mcc.com (David Z. Creemer) writes:
>> Does anyone have any experience using Tenon's MachTen? ...
>
>We attempted to get a copy to try with a product we developed and
>sell for A/UX. However, they claim they are only in beta now, and...
>
>Does look impressive in the cute literature though.
>
>tim.

MachTen is doing well in beta and is expected to be released in mid-May.
We are taking orders now.  We have had numerous requests for early copies
which we have had to turn down to keep a manageable beta program.  We
are hoping (and expecting!) that our product will be as well received
as our brochures.

Anita Holmgren, Vice President
Tenon Intersystems
(We don't have a network news feed to Tenon as yet, but you can reach me
at info@tenon.com or 805-963-6983.)