[comp.sys.mac.system] Will TrueType work with Illustrator 3.0?

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (03/17/91)

Hi, I'd like to know if the new TrueType fonts can be reconized by Illustrator
3.0? It seems that I-3.0 only reconizes Adobe Fonts.

Thanks...
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::Sari Khoury               Art Department             ::
::3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET      Central Michigan University::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"All opinions expressed are strictly my own, unless I stole them"

TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) (03/24/91)

Illustrator 3.0 works OK with the following combination -

TrueType fonts (SuitCase) + TrueType INIT
                          + ATM INIT
                          + Adobe Bitmap font files
                            (their icons look like big 'A')

The point is that you don't need the previous version of
suitcase files installed in the system file or attached to
SuitCase(TM).  That saves a bit of disk space.

Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)
#include <StdDisclaimer.h>

dunlop@wateol.UWaterloo.CA (Doug Dunlop) (03/26/91)

In article <91082.153038TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>
TOGE@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Nobukazu Toge) writes:
>Illustrator 3.0 works OK with the following combination -
>
>TrueType fonts (SuitCase) + TrueType INIT
>                          + ATM INIT
>                          + Adobe Bitmap font files
>                            (their icons look like big 'A')
>
>The point is that you don't need the previous version of
>suitcase files installed in the system file or attached to
>SuitCase(TM).  That saves a bit of disk space.
>
>Nobu Toge (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center)
>#include <StdDisclaimer.h>

Have you had a look as the size of your system running under this
configuration? Pull down about Finder and with both ATM and TrueType running
and you will see that this is memory intensive. Besides, this doesn't fix
problems with other applications since some just refuse to recogize the
TrueType fonts (ie. TrueType fonts don't show up in the 'Fonts' menu so ATM
never gets a chance to render them).

I consider this release of TrueType to be beta. Apple can't seriously believe
that with so many applications and DAs broken that TrueType will be taken
seriously if it remains in this state. If Adobe can make ATM work, then surely
Apple can do the same for TrueType.

I just hope that Apple fixes this up before System 7.0 is released so that it
doesn't taint the average user's first impression. Remember TrueType will be
standard with System 7.0 and the Helvetica, Times, Symbol and Courier fonts
will be installed as TrueType fonts by default. Many users are likely to
associate System 7.0 with the cause of their applications and DAs breaking when
in fact is just TrueType.