[comp.sys.mac.system] TrueType with 6.0.5?

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (03/18/91)

Does anyone know whether or not the TrueType INIT and fonts will
work with System 6.0.5?  I tried switching to 6.0.7 some time ago
but there were too many crashes, so I went back to 6.0.5.

Thanks,
 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- RGH Radiology and CWRU Psych/Chem ('92)

"You know, you perplex me.  Normally, people who lack physical appeal make
 up for it with an actual personality!" -- Dr. Frasier Crane ("Cheers")

jyang@barley.Berkeley.EDU (Joel Yang) (03/19/91)

There is an alert within the TrueType INIT that says "TrueType requires
System 6.0.5 or greater" although everywhere else I read says that 6.0.7
is needed.  Since I am running 6.0.7, I didn't test 6.0.5 compatibility.
By the way, the TrueType INIT is in the StyleWriter and the LaserWriterLS
installation disks.  (If you have Unix unstuffit, you can save yourself
the trouble of downloading the whole disk and just take the INIT.)

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (03/19/91)

In article <41366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jyang@barley.Berkeley.EDU (Joel Yang) writes:
>There is an alert within the TrueType INIT that says "TrueType requires
>System 6.0.5 or greater" although everywhere else I read says that 6.0.7
>is needed.  Since I am running 6.0.7, I didn't test 6.0.5 compatibility.

On my 6.0.5 system, TrueType seems to work OK, but the new LaserWriter
Chooser file bombs when I try to print.  On the other hand, this may be
because I don't have a LaserWriter (or AppleTalk, for that matter), but I'd
like to be able to print PostScript to disk like you could with the old
driver.

Then again, maybe I just have a bad copy -- can someone else with my
same setup or the rough equivalent try it?  (SE/30, 2 MB RAM, 6.0.5...)

--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

morse@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Bryan Morse) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar18.193735.3487@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
>In article <41366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jyang@barley.Berkeley.EDU (Joel Yang) writes:
>>There is an alert within the TrueType INIT that says "TrueType requires
>>System 6.0.5 or greater" although everywhere else I read says that 6.0.7
>>is needed.  Since I am running 6.0.7, I didn't test 6.0.5 compatibility.
>On my 6.0.5 system, TrueType seems to work OK, but the new LaserWriter
>Chooser file bombs when I try to print.  On the other hand, this may be
>because I don't have a LaserWriter (or AppleTalk, for that matter), but I'd
>like to be able to print PostScript to disk like you could with the old
>driver.
>Then again, maybe I just have a bad copy -- can someone else with my
>same setup or the rough equivalent try it?  (SE/30, 2 MB RAM, 6.0.5...)

On a Plus with 4MB RAM and 6.0.5 TrueType seems to work fine except under
Multifinder.  For some reason, the menu is scrunched (technical term :-))
to about 5 pixels high.  Not very interface-friendly, but it still works.
Anyone know:

1. Why Apple states that 6.0.7 is required?
   (and enforces it in the installer?)

2. Why this error occurs?  If MBarHeight is getting clobbered, I hate to
   think what else down there is.

Any ideas are welcome.

--
Bryan Morse                University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
morse@cs.unc.edu           Department of Computer Science

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/26/91)

In article <2509@borg.cs.unc.edu> morse@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Bryan Morse) writes:
>1. Why Apple states that 6.0.7 is required?
>   (and enforces it in the installer?)
1. I didn't even notice that... I guess it was because I installed it manually
   as I didn't want the printer driver for printers I don't have. TrueType works
   fine with my IIx and 6.0.5 and Imagewriter II.
--
Ian Chai        Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
                Bitnet:   2fntnougat@ukanvax