[comp.sys.mac.system] INITs conflicting with TrueType & Fixes Thereof

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/24/91)

I installed TrueType on my machine today and discovered a
number of clashes with other INITs I use. Then after some
investigation, I discovered workarounds which I present
below.

1.zDeskPict:
  ---------
  zDeskPict crashed the machine after I installed TrueType. A modal
  dialog appeared, but it was so far gone that it couldn't even show
  the bomb box properly, but instead just flickered.
  The fix I came up with for this is to rename TrueType as zTrueType,
  so that it would load after zDeskPict.

2.IconColorizer:
  -------------
  IconColorizer would not load the icons from the Icon CZ Icon data
  file under TrueType, regardless of if it loaded before or after.
  The fix I found was to load the icons directly into IconColorizer
  with ResEdit.

I hope this helps other people figure things out.
--
Ian Chai        Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
                Bitnet:   2fntnougat@ukanvax

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/25/91)

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:

>I installed TrueType on my machine today and discovered a
>number of clashes with other INITs I use. Then after some
>investigation, I discovered workarounds which I present
>below.

>1.zDeskPict:
>  ---------
>  zDeskPict crashed the machine after I installed TrueType. A modal
>  dialog appeared, but it was so far gone that it couldn't even show
>  the bomb box properly, but instead just flickered.
>  The fix I came up with for this is to rename TrueType as zTrueType,
>  so that it would load after zDeskPict.

>2.IconColorizer:
>  -------------
>  IconColorizer would not load the icons from the Icon CZ Icon data
>  file under TrueType, regardless of if it loaded before or after.
>  The fix I found was to load the icons directly into IconColorizer
>  with ResEdit.

>I hope this helps other people figure things out.
>--
>Ian Chai        Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu
>                Bitnet:   2fntnougat@ukanvax

IconColorizer 1.6 works just fine on my machine with TrueType installed.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar24.235015.9904@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) writes:
>IconColorizer 1.6 works just fine on my machine with TrueType installed.

Sigh. Well, perhaps it's one of those 3-way incompatibilities.
Anyway, that's the fix I came up with in one sitting.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."