[comp.sys.mac.system] Yet Another TrueType-related bug

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/22/91)

	There seems to be another TrueType related problem.  Try this.
Go into MacWrite II.  Type some text with a TrueType face.  Looks
fine, right?  Increase it to, say, 500pt.  Whoops!  The spacing is
right, but the characters are far to small.  Now put it back at, say,
18pt.  Go over to the view menu and go to Reduced View.  Looks ugly,
doesn't it?

	According to one of the Readme files that came with TrueType,
the error for all this is in MacWrite II - not in TrueType.  People
are told that Claris will soon be releasing a maintenence upgrade
"Call Claris Technical Support"

	Who knows, this may be related to the Quark/TrueType bug that
someone mentioned earlier...

	I have a feeling that some apps aren't going to be happy with
TrueType under System 7.0...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

In article <1991Mar22.190712.3220@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>Yes, I've seen the problem with MacWrite II too. The current version
>doesn't correctly handle fonts larger than 127 point. It doesn't handle
>the same situation correctly with ATM either.

	Really?  <ponder> While I don't have ATM installed on my home
machine (just got it a few days ago :) I distinctly remember working
with -huge- typefaces in MacWrite II using ATM at work (Lessee, Mac
Plus, 6.0.4. umpteen jillion inits), without the slightest hint of
trouble.

	Welp, in any case, I'll give Claris Tech Support a call in the
near future, and give info to the net (unless someone beats me to it).

--

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/23/91)

Yes, I've seen the problem with MacWrite II too. The current version
doesn't correctly handle fonts larger than 127 point. It doesn't handle
the same situation correctly with ATM either.

I have successfully displayed and printed out TrueType text at 256
point in Aldus Persuasion (the largest size that that application would
let me specify). The printing was done on an HP PainJet XL, using HP's
Color PrintKit driver (well-thought-out driver, remarkably faithful
colours). I even displayed text at 320 point and 999 point in
ReadySetGo 4.0 (how's that for ancient?).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar22.141620.14700@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) expressed doubts
about my claim that MacWrite II has the same problem with ATM
that it does with TrueType.

I checked it again immediately after reading your posting,
and you're right--MacWrite II seems to work fine with ATM,
sizes greater than 127 points and all.

I must have been thinking of the pre-release version of TrueType
in System 7--that might have been where I first noticed the
problem.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
The question remains: why would I want to interface to a human computer?