[comp.sys.mac.system] Disinfectant INIT and 7.0b4

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (03/27/91)

Well, I finally got 7.0b4 up on my SE.  A little sluggish but that's another
story.  Here's the real reason I'm wasting your time:

Now, supposedly, the author of the Disinfectant INIT gave it that special
diamond character in its name so it would load last.  But now, 7.0b4 loads
the extensions first, and then cdevs.  This results in having the
Disinfectant INIT load somewheres in the middle.

Now does this mean I'll hafta mix extensions and cdevs in the Control
Panels folder to get things to load right?  I tried this and it does
work...just wanted to know if there's a more elegant solution.

Thanks.

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.204516.8371@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
>Now, supposedly, the author of the Disinfectant INIT gave it that special
>diamond character in its name so it would load last.  But now, 7.0b4 loads
>the extensions first, and then cdevs.  This results in having the
>Disinfectant INIT load somewheres in the middle.
>
>Now does this mean I'll hafta mix extensions and cdevs in the Control
>Panels folder to get things to load right?  I tried this and it does
>work...just wanted to know if there's a more elegant solution.

  If you leave the Disinfectant INIT in the System Folder proper, it will
load last.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (03/28/91)

Dean Yu is correct - you want to leave the Disinfectant INIT in the System
Folder, not in the Extensions or Control Panels folder, so that it will
continue to load last under 7.0b4.

One item on my todo list is to try to come up with some sort of hack so
that my INIT doesn't have to load last, so that I can put it in the
Extensions folder where it belongs under 7.0. But until I figure out a way
to do this (if ever), you need to leave it in the System Folder.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu