[comp.sys.mac.system] Sound cdev does not see Suitcase sounds!

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/25/91)

 I have about 50 sounds (snd) in a Suitcase file that is being opened at
 startup. The Sound cdev doesn't see them, showing only the four standard
 sounds, but SndControl does. Any ideas?

 This is System 6.0.7 on a IIci. Thanks loads!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (03/26/91)

In article <4196@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> I have about 50 sounds (snd) in a Suitcase file that is being opened at
> startup. The Sound cdev doesn't see them, showing only the four standard
> sounds, but SndControl does. Any ideas?
>
> This is System 6.0.7 on a IIci. Thanks loads!

  The new Sound control panel only looks in the System Folder for sounds...

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

In article <50768@apple.Apple.COM> I wrote:
>  The new Sound control panel only looks in the System Folder for sounds...

  I meant System file, not folder.  Sorry.

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (03/27/91)

In article <50769@apple.Apple.COM>, nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes...
>  The new Sound control panel only looks in the System file for sounds...

Why? I thought one point of resources was so a resource file chain could be
 created (what Suitcase does).

Richard C. Long * long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            * Selfware:If you like
--------------- * ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long * this program, send
A First Edition * long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com * yourself five bucks!

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/27/91)

In article <4196@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>    I have about 50 sounds (snd) in a Suitcase file that is being opened at
>    startup. The Sound cdev doesn't see them, showing only the four standard
>    sounds, but SndControl does. Any ideas?
>
>    This is System 6.0.7 on a IIci. Thanks loads!

	When I upgraded to Suitcase-II v 1.2.9, I had the sounds from my
	sound suitcase disappear from the 6.0.7 Sound CDEV.  So I went back
	to 1.2.8 and all the sounds came back.

	=Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (03/27/91)

In article <50769@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:
|In article <50768@apple.Apple.COM> I wrote:
|>  The new Sound control panel only looks in the System Folder for sounds...
|
|  I meant System file, not folder.  Sorry.

Why?  Was this a mistake, or a sinister plot to make life difficult for
Suitcase users, or what?  Will it be back to normal in System 7?

--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (03/27/91)

In article <4212@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>In article <50769@apple.Apple.COM>, nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes...
>>  The new Sound control panel only looks in the System file for sounds...
>
>Why? I thought one point of resources was so a resource file chain could be
> created (what Suitcase does).

  Suitcase does what Suitcase does because it's Suitcase.  It probably wedged
itself down low inside the Resource Manager to make UseResFile(0) search
it's resource maps in addition to the System resource map.
  Even with the old Sound control panel, it would only show the sounds in the
System file unless you were running Suitcase, or something similar...  (I
didn't mean to imply that the old control panel looked in other places besides
the System file and the new one didn't.)

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

     I have nothing to do with Suitcase or it's author.  I was just using
     it as an example because Rich mentioned it.

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (03/28/91)

In article <4196@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>>    I have about 50 sounds (snd) in a Suitcase file that is being opened at
>>    startup. The Sound cdev doesn't see them, showing only the four standard
>>    sounds, but SndControl does. Any ideas?

Here is a message from Steve Brecher, author of Suitcase, captured from
CompuServe.

#: 88252 S11/Fifth Generation
    12-Mar-91  19:14:29
Sb: #88228-#Suitcase II 1.2.9
Fm: Steve Brecher 70001,1011
To: Mike Stith 76117,202 (X)

To patch Suitcase II 1.2.9 so that the Sounds cdev shows sounds
in suitcase files as well as in the System file:

With ResEdit, open a copy of Suitcase II that is not currently
in use. Double click on the INIT resource type; in the ensuing
window double-click on INIT 128 (the only item).  Choose Find
Hex from the Find menu.  In the Change Hex dialog box,
*carefully* type the following values (ResEdit will not echo the
spaces if you type them; they are shown here for readability).
Then click the Find Next button. (If ResEdit beeps in response,
there has been an error.)  Then click the Change button.  Quit,
confirming that changes are to be saved.

 Find Hex:  0006 015A
 Change to: 0007 015A

<end quote>

--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (04/02/91)

In <4196@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) laments:

 > I have about 50 sounds (snd) in a Suitcase file that is being opened at
 > startup. The Sound cdev doesn't see them, showing only the four standard
 > sounds, but SndControl does. Any ideas?
 >
 > This is System 6.0.7 on a IIci. Thanks loads!

To patch Suitcase II 1.2.9 so that the Sounds cdev shows sounds in
suitcase files as well as in the System file with System 6.0.7:

brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)