[comp.sys.mac.system] Type Type, LaserPrep and Print Servers.

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (04/02/91)

Hi all,
      Just after getting everyone on our LocalTalk net upgraded from LW 5.2
to 6.0.2  made necessary because of the incompatibility between 5.2 and 6.0.2
which required every one on the same print server to have the same version
of laser prep and LW drivers (some also needed OS upgrades since LW 6.0.n
needs OS 6.0.3), the long awaited True Type arrived.

I tried upgrading one Mac (mine) and it objected, when trying to print, that
the print server had an incompatible version of laser prep.  So upgraded print
server and while I could print the other 40+ Macs on 6.0.2 could not !

So rather than go thru the 5.2 -> 6.0.n all over again for True Type could
some knowledgeable person indicate whether:

1.   Do all Macs using the same print server need to use True Type, if not
what am I missing.

2.   Will there be a further change on May 13, that will need everyone to
go to LW 7.0 AND System 7.0  (Note I will be going to System & since I have
an SE/30 with 8Mb, but a lot of my colleagues only have SEs with 1Mb and we
do not have the $$ to upgrade all those Macs immediately)

3.  This question is dependent upon the answer to 2.  I understand that the
AppleShare stuff will NOT run under System 7.0 since it does not support
Multifinder.  A new version  of AppleShare is due about September that will
work under 7.0.  So if I, for example go to System 7.0 and most of my
colleagues don't and the print server does not, will I be able to use the
ONE and only laser printer (we do not allow non spooled access - this is a
teaching environment where students also have access to Macs, but not our
laserwriter)

Thanks.
--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (04/02/91)

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:

>1.   Do all Macs using the same print server need to use True Type, if not
>what am I missing.

>2.   Will there be a further change on May 13, that will need everyone to
>go to LW 7.0 AND System 7.0  (Note I will be going to System & since I have
>an SE/30 with 8Mb, but a lot of my colleagues only have SEs with 1Mb and we
>do not have the $$ to upgrade all those Macs immediately)

No, all the Macs don't need to be using True Type, but they all need to
be using the same LaserWriter driver.  Version 6.1, which ships with
True Type, is compatible with the 7.0 LaserWriter driver.  This means no
initialization wars.

Everyone using the same printer (or print spooler) must be running a
compatible version of the LaserWriter drivers.  Otherwise, you get the
initialization hassles you mention in your message.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (04/03/91)

In article <51056@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
[questions about incompatible LaserWriter versions that I was about to ask
:-)
Brian responds...]
>No, all the Macs don't need to be using True Type, but they all need to
>be using the same LaserWriter driver.  Version 6.1, which ships with
>True Type, is compatible with the 7.0 LaserWriter driver.  This means no
>initialization wars.
>
>Everyone using the same printer (or print spooler) must be running a
>compatible version of the LaserWriter drivers.  Otherwise, you get the
>initialization hassles you mention in your message.
So the situation has improved, but only slightly.

Will the 6.1/7.0 drivers continue to coexist with future drivers or do we
have this pain to go through again at some time in the future?
What about when the new print architecture arrives (in 7.1 or whatever),
will we have to change at that point? What about if/when a PostScript II
driver appears?

We have some networked PostScript printers accessible to the whole campus
(apart from the various 'local' networked printers). We are acutely aware
of intialisation wars. We stopped most of the chaos by passwording the
printers but it does mean we have a LOT of systems to upgrade ALL AT ONCE
when new drivers arrive. As AppleTalk networks grow this can only get
worse. Is the 6.1 upgrade really the last once I'm going to have to
inflict on our users or do we have further 'interesting times' to look
forward to?

--
Michael.Newbery@vuw.ac.nz
Books impede the persistence of stupidity.