[comp.sys.mac.system] Modifying Finder 7

davidl@iSC.intel.com (David Levine) (04/03/91)

I haven't used System 7 at all, but I have a friend who says he hates it.
He claims that System 7 "assumes you're an idiot."  He's turned off Baloon
Help, but his big gripe seems to be that he can't modify the Finder.  (He's
REALLY into modifying the Finder.  Different squids for different kids...)
Anyway, can anyone tell me how to:

 * Edit Finder 7's menus to change menu text and add command-key equivalents.

 * Use staggered icons in windows without staggering the disk icons on the
   desktop as well (the staggering means that you can't get as many disk icons
   on the screen at once).

 * Decrease the leading (space between lines) in text-only Finder views
   such as "View By Name."

Basically, he wants the functionality of editing the MENU and LAYO resources
in older Finders, but Finder 7 has no LAYO resource and no MENU resources.
(It uses a new kind of menu resource, for which there is no template in
ResEdit 2.1.)

Thanks in advance,

- David D. Levine, Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
  davidl@ssd.intel.com  - or -  davidl@isc.intel.com
  "What's that watermelon doing there?"  "I'll tell you later."

hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (D. Hollinsworth) (04/04/91)

In article <1238@intelisc.isc.intel.com> davidl@iSC.intel.com (David Levine) writes:
[Wants to know if you can easily:]

> * Edit Finder 7's menus to change menu text and add command-key equivalents.
>
> * Use staggered icons in windows without staggering the disk icons on the
>   desktop as well (the staggering means that you can't get as many disk icons
>   on the screen at once).
>
> * Decrease the leading (space between lines) in text-only Finder views
>   such as "View By Name."

Does anyone know if Layout 1.9 will work with Finder 7?
Available on sumex, if anyone wants to try it.

*Dave Hollinsworth            * With a bit of a mind flip, you're into the time*
*hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu* slip - nothing will ever be the same. - RHPS *
*DISCLAIMER:  Hey, sometimes I don't even believe what I say - why should you? *