[comp.sys.mac.system] Gotchas with LaserWriter 6.1

dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka) (03/29/91)

Well, we grabbed the LaserWriter 6.1 drivers and thought we had it
made. It eliminates the need for LaserPrep (apparently sending
complete, standalone PS to the printer - as some have noted, output is
larger), which will make future upgrades nicer when printers no longer
need reiniting each print job.

Beware, however, that it is apparently critical to install the v1.3
Backgrounder along with the driver. If you don't, background print
jobs will die and complain about damaged files. Having encountered
this, we had to go back and de-install 6.1 until we figured out why.

I'm not sure what's in Backgrounder 1.3 that's so different (why isn't
there a readme file explaining the need to do this? - it has not been
necessary to use the installer to change print drivers, so many
don't), but it is. We haven't gotten around to seeing if Backgrounder
1.3 is compatible with Systems prior to 6.0.7. Has anyone else?

Dan Peterka                      S-CUBED              3398 Carmel Mtn Rd.
dan@scubed.com               (619) 587-8338           San Diego, CA 92121

gpw@lanl.gov (Geoff Walsh) (04/02/91)

dan@s3sol.scubed (Dan Peterka @ S-CUBED, A Division of Maxwell Labs; San Diego CA)
wrote about the new Apple LaserWriter 6.1 driver and said:
... stuff deleted
> We haven't gotten around to seeing if Backgrounder
> 1.3 is compatible with Systems prior to 6.0.7. Has anyone else?

I've been using the new LaserWriter 6.1 driver with system 6.0.5 on both
a IIx and a IIci without any problems.  The files I've found I need are:
	LaserWriter ver 6.1
	Backgrounder ver 1.3
	PrintMonitor ver 6.1.

The LaserPrep file is no longer needed.

I haven't had any problems with the system crashing or anything.  The
nice things about the new driver are that the Black and White or
Color/Grayscale option is sticky - the driver remembers the setting.  It
also generates PostScript files which you can name with a standard file
save dialog box.  The PostScript files can be moved as is to a Unix
system with a color laser printer, such as the inexpensive new Sun color
laser printers, and printed.

A nice surprise is that the new LaserWriter Font Utility program
has an option to turn off the printer start page with the Start Page
Option in the Utilities menu.

Here's a question for the experts on the net:  I sometimes run with the
regular (non-Multi) Finder so that I can use all the memory on my machine
for one program.  I'm using TOPS Spool version 3.0, and it doesn't seem
to work with the LaserWriter 6.1 driver.  The driver bypasses TOPS Spool
and prints directly.  If I go back to the old LaserWriter driver (ver
6.0.2), LaserPrep (ver 6.0.1) and PrintMonitor (ver 1.3), TOPS Spool
works just fine.  Is anyone  out there using the LaserWriter 6.1
driver successfully with TOPS Spool?  If so, what is your configuration
and did you have to do anything special to get it to work?  Is there a
newer version that does work, or is the software new enough and different
enough that it won't work with the TOPS Spool software?

Post or EMAIL, and I will summarize for the net if there is any interest.

Geoff Walsh
R & D Associates
(213) 645-1122 ext 363
gpw@lanl.gov

wnn@ornl.gov (04/04/91)

In article <19850@lanl.gov> gpw@lanl.gov (Geoff Walsh) writes:

>I'm using TOPS Spool version 3.0, and it doesn't seem
>to work with the LaserWriter 6.1 driver.  The driver bypasses TOPS Spool
>and prints directly.

That does not surprise me. Tops Spool must be using some very dirty hack,
because every time Apple released a new version of LaserWriter,
Tops had to come up with a new version of Tops Spool to get it to work
again. Usually that has taken several months, so don't hold you breath.

However, in our experience, Tops Spool requires less RAM, is more
compatible, and runs much more smoothly in the background (without
the user noticing a slow-down) than Backgrounder. I only hope that System
7.0 will at least match the background printing capabilities of Tops Spool,
to relieve us from this silly eternal upgrade-catch-up game.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (OrchidFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510