[comp.sys.mac.system] Any way to get Sys. 7.0, and a question

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.180921.16882@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes, among other things:

>Would someone please explain why us mortals cannot get our hands on
>System 7.0?

Yes, System 7 is nice, but the wait is now down to less than a month and a
half.  Besides, it wouldn't do you much good to get a Beta only to find
that your favorite, necessary, application brings up a dialog box with
unresponsive buttons (the only solution being a reboot).  You're better off
waiting until the "System 7 friendly" applications are out, which will be
when it is released.

Now the question:  I just ftp'ed the new version of PopChar from sumex-aim
(Version 1.4) to replace my old version (1.1).  When I dropped it into the
System Folder of 7b4, I got the standard "this is a cdev . . ." dialog.
When it was put into the Control Panel Folder, a dialog box came up that
said "there is a newer version in the control panel, do you want to replace
it."  It looks like the Finder is checking only the Last Modified date of
the file, not the version number or the creation date.  Has this been changed
in the later versions?

*                                     |  "Please put litter in its place"   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |           ---McDonald's packaging   *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   Wouldn't that be on the ground?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************