[comp.sys.mac.system] April 01 and System 7.0

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (04/03/91)

I knew the post about system 7.0 was a joke the minute I saw the date and the
sender.  My question is how does comp.sys.mac.digest work?  Don't all
postings go through the moderator?  Was he fooled?  Or do I not understand
what happened here?

Robert Cook  (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.000709.14610@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>I knew the post about system 7.0 was a joke the minute I saw the date and the
>sender.  My question is how does comp.sys.mac.digest work?  Don't all
>postings go through the moderator?  Was he fooled?  Or do I not understand
>what happened here?

Maybe the moderator originated it?

Peace,

Doug

cs483106@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs483106) (04/04/91)

I think everything in info-mac DOES go through the moderator. Since he also
puts stuff in sumex-aim, and puts the paths into the messages, we might
resonably assume that he's the perpetrator of this farce. It does seem to
have brought those who aren't paying attention to the fore.

"Pope" Q.E.D
Michael Kohne

francis@magrathea.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.000509.20350@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs483106@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs483106) writes:

   I think everything in info-mac DOES go through the moderator. Since he also
   puts stuff in sumex-aim, and puts the paths into the messages, we might
   resonably assume that he's the perpetrator of this farce.

I'm not sure, but I think it's possible to fake to a moderated group.
There was a fake posting in news.announce.important a bit ago.

Actually, I know it's possible if you've got sufficient control over
your network connection (a huge if, I think).  Pretty sure it'd be
hard or impossible to do with normal hardware.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

gjb@cs.brown.edu (Gregory Brail) (04/05/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Apr3210725@magrathea.zaphod.uchicago.edu> francis@magrathea.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <1991Apr4.000509.20350@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs483106@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs483106) writes:
>   I think everything in info-mac DOES go through the moderator. Since he also
>   puts stuff in sumex-aim, and puts the paths into the messages, we might
>   resonably assume that he's the perpetrator of this farce.
>I'm not sure, but I think it's possible to fake to a moderated group.
>There was a fake posting in news.announce.important a bit ago.

Perhaps the moderator saw the message mailed to the list, thought it
was funny, and decided to include it anyway. What's wrong with passing
a little joke along to the net?

				-greg
Greg Brail
Internet: gjb@cs.brown.edu  BITNET: gjb@browncs.bitnet
UUCP:	..uunet!brunix!gjb  Home:   (401)273-1172