[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7, and MacX

bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (04/04/91)

I'm trying to get System 7 and MacX to talk to each other. The problem
that I am having is that the communications tool box and Ethertalk don't
want to install on my 7.0 disk.

If I use the installer version that came with MacX, they complain about
the system 7 system file. I tried to take the 'new' installer from the
7.0 CD-ROM -- and got some *limited* success. I copied it onto copies of
the Ethertalk and CTB floppies. The installer put CTB in the 7.0 system
but would not put Ethertalk in.

Unfortunately, CTB didn't work after I rebooted -- AND the process of
installing seems to have zapped another one of the system extensions (DAL).

Does anyone know the proper procedure for this? Please post the reply as
I suspect that others will (soon) be having similar problems.

Thanks,
Bruce Beare
bjb@pyramid.com

BTW - just for kicks, I tried MacinTalk with 7.0 -- it seemed to work better
      then it did with 6.0.7. Some programs still crashed, or didn't make any
      sounds -- but others seemed to work just fine. I have no idea how safe it
      is to run it for an extended period of time.

bell@Apple.COM (Mike Bell) (04/04/91)

In article <150696@pyramid.pyramid.com> bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>I'm trying to get System 7 and MacX to talk to each other. The problem
>that I am having is that the communications tool box and Ethertalk don't
>want to install on my 7.0 disk.
>
>If I use the installer version that came with MacX, they complain about
>the system 7 system file. I tried to take the 'new' installer from the
>7.0 CD-ROM -- and got some *limited* success. I copied it onto copies of
>the Ethertalk and CTB floppies. The installer put CTB in the 7.0 system
>but would not put Ethertalk in.
>
>Unfortunately, CTB didn't work after I rebooted -- AND the process of
>installing seems to have zapped another one of the system extensions (DAL).
>
>Does anyone know the proper procedure for this? Please post the reply as
>I suspect that others will (soon) be having similar problems.
>
>Thanks,
>Bruce Beare
>bjb@pyramid.com
>

>BTW - just for kicks, I tried MacinTalk with 7.0 -- it seemed to work better
>      then it did with 6.0.7. Some programs still crashed, or didn't make any
>      sounds -- but others seemed to work just fine. I have no idea how safe it
>      is to run it for an extended period of time.

   System 7.0 has the comm toolbox built in !!!; you don't have to run the
installer. Just drag the MacTCP tool onto the system folder, and it will be
put in the right place !

				Mike Bell

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/04/91)

MacX 1.1 comes with a readme file; it has comments about using
MacX (and MacTCP) with System 7.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

bjb@pyramid.pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (04/04/91)

In article <51143@apple.Apple.COM>, bell@Apple.COM (Mike Bell) writes:
> In article <150696@pyramid.pyramid.com> bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
> >I'm trying to get System 7 and MacX to talk to each other. The problem
> >that I am having is that the communications tool box and Ethertalk don't
> >want to install on my 7.0 disk.
> >
> >If I use the installer version that came with MacX, they complain about
> >the system 7 system file. I tried to take the 'new' installer from the
> >7.0 CD-ROM -- and got some *limited* success. I copied it onto copies of
> >the Ethertalk and CTB floppies. The installer put CTB in the 7.0 system
> >but would not put Ethertalk in.
> >
> >Unfortunately, CTB didn't work after I rebooted -- AND the process of
> >installing seems to have zapped another one of the system extensions (DAL).
> >
> >Does anyone know the proper procedure for this? Please post the reply as
> >I suspect that others will (soon) be having similar problems.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bruce Beare
> >bjb@pyramid.com
> >

> >BTW - just for kicks, I tried MacinTalk with 7.0 -- it seemed to work better
> >      then it did with 6.0.7. Some programs still crashed, or didn't make any
> >      sounds -- but others seemed to work just fine. I have no idea how safe it
> >      is to run it for an extended period of time.
>

>    System 7.0 has the comm toolbox built in !!!; you don't have to run the
> installer. Just drag the MacTCP tool onto the system folder, and it will be
> put in the right place !
>

> 				Mike Bell

Thanks Mike. It turns out that my problem was, indeed brain damage (UBD). If you
install on a system that does not have an ethernet card, the installer
doesn't bother to put ethertalk in. Since I used the 'easy' installer, I
didn't notice that I had the option of installing Ethertalk from the
standard installation script. Another problem was that the finder guesses
wrong about where to put MacTCP in the system folder. Here's another reply
from another Apple Employee who also helped out. Thanks Guys!

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (04/04/91)

In article <51143@apple.Apple.COM> bell@Apple.COM (Mike Bell) writes:
>In article <150696@pyramid.pyramid.com> bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) writes:
>>I'm trying to get System 7 and MacX to talk to each other. The problem
>>that I am having is that the communications tool box and Ethertalk don't
>>want to install on my 7.0 disk.
>>
>   System 7.0 has the comm toolbox built in !!!; you don't have to run the
>installer. Just drag the MacTCP tool onto the system folder, and it will be
>put in the right place !

My documentation (7.0b4) states that there is a known problem with Phase
1 Ethertalk (Ethernet).  My version of MacX (1.0) won't work at all, and
I assume that it is because of this, not because of toolbox problems.
In order to get my Ethernet connection to come up at all I had to
re-install the drivers *after* I installed 7.0.  Even with that, the
Chooser is extremely flakey;  it loses the zone box constantly, and
usually takes two successive re-boots to get it back.  I am surprised
that something this fundamental is still not working.

Other than that, I have not found an application that won't work with
7.0.  System 7.0 corrects many little inconsistencies in the interface
and adds lots of mostly subtle goodies that allow much more tweaking
that many of now do with INITs.  I used to have about a dozen marching
across the screen.  I'm down to five, and will probably be able to drop
a couple more as I explore things further.

My own feeling is that the official release will be viewed by the press
as kind of ho-hum compared to the Windows hoopla.  Windows got a lot of
press, even in non-computer mags, because it was such a relatively
astounding improvement (so to speak) over vanilla DOS. Alas, as those of
us who have worked with it all note, it's mostly smoke and mirrors.

System 7.0 will suffer from two problems with the press;  first, the
really powerful technical additions like IAC, virtual memory, and
AppleEvents won't be immediately evident because there will be a lag of
several months before a lot of the software gets reviewed and people
understand the signifcance of them.

Second, many of the improvements are so subtle that they won't seem
worth writing about, yet there is a gestalt at work that makes the
System 7 interface much, much better, in a multitude of small ways.

--

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (04/05/91)

writes:
> I'm trying to get System 7 and MacX to talk to each other. The problem
> that I am having is that the communications tool box and Ethertalk don't
> want to install on my 7.0 disk.

The CommToolbox is an integral part of System 7 so you don't have to
install it, it's already there.  The EtherTalk software also comes with
the System 7 distribution and can be selected for installation using the
standard System 7 installer script.

/Matt
---
Matt Kingman
Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc.
I speak only for myself...

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (04/05/91)

In article <1553@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:
>Second, many of the improvements are so subtle that they won't seem
>worth writing about, yet there is a gestalt at work that makes the
>System 7 interface much, much better, in a multitude of small ways.

  I'm of the opinion that people will like System 7 more for the small tweaks
than for the new features.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     That definitely was NOT Apple's opinion...

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (04/05/91)

>MacX 1.1 comes with a readme file; it has comments about using
>MacX (and MacTCP) with System 7.
>--
>  Gerald A. Edgar

We purchased MacX 1.0 about three months ago and sent in the
registration card right away.  Has anyone received any information from
Apple about upgrades?  MacX 1.0 does not work with 7.0, but aside from
that it is a pig;  it is so slow that it is useless, and uses an
unbelieveable amount of memory (almost 2 meg...).

--

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/06/91)

In article <1562@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, cohill@vtserf (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:
>>MacX 1.1 comes with a readme file; it has comments about using
>>MacX (and MacTCP) with System 7.
>>--
>>  Gerald A. Edgar
>
>We purchased MacX 1.0 about three months ago and sent in the
>registration card right away.  Has anyone received any information from
>Apple about upgrades?  MacX 1.0 does not work with 7.0, but aside from
>that it is a pig;  it is so slow that it is useless, and uses an
>unbelieveable amount of memory (almost 2 meg...).

MacX 1.0.1 (was 1.0 ever released?) works just fine for me with all
versions of System 7 that I've tested.

anders