[comp.sys.mac.system] Price for System 7.0?

ghe@physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (04/05/91)

System 7.0 is a hot topic on the net now. But can anyone tell me about
how much Apple is going to charge for it? I went to the computer base
of OSU bookstore today. The saleslady told that Apple is going to sale
System 7.0 instead of distribute it free. She did not know how much
and said it could be around $120. Anyone on the net can clarify it?
Taking $120 from a poor student for a system software is a crime. :-(.
Considering the student has already paid the outrageous price for the
Macintosh.

Guangliang He
ghe@physics.orst.edu

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr04.210747.8868@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@physics.orst.edu writes:
>System 7.0 is a hot topic on the net now. But can anyone tell me about
>how much Apple is going to charge for it? I went to the computer base
>of OSU bookstore today. The saleslady told that Apple is going to sale
>System 7.0 instead of distribute it free. She did not know how much
>and said it could be around $120. Anyone on the net can clarify it?
>Taking $120 from a poor student for a system software is a crime. :-(.

Posting the opinion of the saleslady at the OSU bookstore as definitive
information about Apple's distribution policies for unreleased products
should be a crime. :-(     Chill out and wait and see.  The policy will
probably be unchanged, which means free if you bring your own disks, $50 if
you want manuals and disks and shrink-wrap.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.234519.8976@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
>In article <1991Apr04.210747.8868@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@physics.orst.edu writes:
>>System 7.0 is a hot topic on the net now. But can anyone tell me about
>>how much Apple is going to charge for it? I went to the computer base
>>of OSU bookstore today. The saleslady told that Apple is going to sale
>>System 7.0 instead of distribute it free. She did not know how much
>>and said it could be around $120. Anyone on the net can clarify it?
>>Taking $120 from a poor student for a system software is a crime. :-(.
>
>Posting the opinion of the saleslady at the OSU bookstore as definitive
>information about Apple's distribution policies for unreleased products
>should be a crime. :-(     Chill out and wait and see.  The policy will
>probably be unchanged, which means free if you bring your own disks, $50 if
>you want manuals and disks and shrink-wrap.

	I just talked to a friend of mine who works at an Apple
Dealership, and he says that Sys.7 will be coming out May 13, it will
be free if you bring in x-number of disks, or $99, which includes
disks, manuals, and I believe 90 days of support.
	He also suggests that you at least try to place orders at
local dealerships (if they'll let you), because he thinks there won't
be very many in stock after the first few hours on May 13.  (As you
can imagine.)

	Bob

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

dbert@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr04.210747.8868@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@physics.orst.edu writes:
>System 7.0 is a hot topic on the net now. But can anyone tell me about
>how much Apple is going to charge for it? I went to the computer base
>of OSU bookstore today. The saleslady told that Apple is going to sale
>System 7.0 instead of distribute it free. She did not know how much
>and said it could be around $120. Anyone on the net can clarify it?
>Taking $120 from a poor student for a system software is a crime. :-(.
>Considering the student has already paid the outrageous price for the
>Macintosh.

This question was asked many times in the Mac newsgroups around a month ago
and much arguing and bickering and complaining resulted until an Apple
employee assured us all that so far as he knew, Apple policy would remain the
same on this release as on others:  Free if you bring in the disks to copy it
(7 800Ks or 4 HDs) $50 for the disks and manuals.  For this release, those
manuals are a sure bet to be very popular! :)

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (04/05/91)

Your saleslady is wrong. Apple has always and will continue to
distribute System software through various free outlets. Any authorized
Apple Dealer will be required (though grudgingly) to give it to you;
you must provide the disks, which in the case of System 7.0 will
probably be seven or eight 800K disks as opposed to four or five in
previous releases. You can also get it from Apple.apple.com archives,
although I doubt Apple will do this immediately considering the heavy
volume such a release would illicit.

You could also make copies of other people's system 7.0 disks. However,
simply clicking and dragging will probably not be an option since
installing System 7.0 will be extremely Installer intensive. That means
it will use the Installer program, and you will be strongly advised to
use the Installer program. Funny thing about the Installer program is
that it doesn't usually recognize click-and-drag copied disks.

There is a program called DiskCopy available from apple.apple.com and
from most dealers. In apple.apple.com it is under /pub/dts/sw-license.
You will need it if you get system 7.0 from apple.apple.com anyway.
Whether you actually get your copy off apple archives or not is
irrelevant, if you "do it yourself", you'll need this program, and it
is the program your dealer will be using to make your copies of the
system 7.0 disks.

What you salesperson was probably referring to was the "bundled set" of
System software and THE MANUALS. Most Mac users don't ever touch their
system manuals, so you probably don't need them, and on your student
budget, probably can't afford them. With the volume of changes in
System 7.0, I could see the manuals going for $120, but in the past
they have been available for $49, like the recent HyperCard update,
including the software.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Chuck Dubuque           ||"It's one thing to think something that seems
Dartmouth College       || completely impossible. But quite another to
HB 4233 Hanover NH      || say it..." -- Silent Invasion, book II
03755                   ||
C.Dubuque@Dartmouth.edu || DartmouthUs -not- the Review, but it's close

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/07/91)

Charles E. Dubuque writes in a message to All

CED> What you salesperson was probably referring to was the "bundled
CED> set" of System software and THE MANUALS. Most Mac users don't
CED> ever touch their system manuals, so you probably don't need them,
CED> and on your student budget, probably can't afford them. With
CED> the volume of changes in System 7.0, I could see the manuals
CED> going for $120, but in the past they have been available for
CED> $49, like the recent HyperCard update, including the software.

Your comment about the manuals is not going to be true for System 7.0: there are so many really useful but non-obvious things you can do with it, most people would be well advised to get the manuals.