[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0a9 trashing drive remedies?

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (04/06/91)

Hello all, I know this was covered before, but just today, a friend of mine
complained System 7 did funny things to his hard disks. Was there ever a remedy
which did not require reformatting the hard drives? I tried reloading System
6.0.5 and updated the drivers, but I cannot rebuild the desktop successfully
due to some "unknown error" and Norton Disk Doctor still thinks System 7 is
on the hard disk.

Help please someone?

Norton
--
<<<<  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( >>>>
< Norton Chia   |  Mail me on norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU  APPLELINK:AUST0240   >

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/08/91)

In article <norton.670950752@extro>, norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) writes:
> Hello all, I know this was covered before, but just today, a friend of mine
> complained System 7 did funny things to his hard disks. Was there ever a remedy
> which did not require reformatting the hard drives? I tried reloading System
> 6.0.5 and updated the drivers, but I cannot rebuild the desktop successfully
> due to some "unknown error" and Norton Disk Doctor still thinks System 7 is
> on the hard disk.
>
> Help please someone?
>
> Norton
> --
> <<<<  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( >>>>
> < Norton Chia   |  Mail me on norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU  APPLELINK:AUST0240   >
> < Micro Support |	"There are only 3 types of people in the world:       >
> < Uni of Sydney |		Those who can count, and those who can't"     >

This is why Apple doesn't release beta versions to the public.  I went from
System 7.0b1 to System 6.0.x with no problems (except that Norton Disk Doctor
didn't work - has to do with how 7.0 handles the file system).  Guess your
friend has to wait till Mac 13th for the new version of Norton...

tim