[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0b4 - About the finder / About this Macintosh

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (04/03/91)

There are 2 intriguing things about TAbout the finder
/ About this Macintosh.U

1) There is an Icon of my Mac - a IIcx, alongside information about
the system version and memory. IUve looked for it with ResEdit (when
it doesnUt crash) but I canUt find it. My guess is there are icons of
all the current MacintoshUs are available somewhere and I want to
find them.

2) Option About the finder gives a screen I havenUt seen before of
information about Finder copyright etc,  I donUt remember before
System 6 so could somebody tell me if it has been in the software before.......

If you know - tell the world. Enquiring minds.............

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
Janet: Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone: +44 276 51440

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (04/04/91)

In article <3751@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:
>2) Option About the finder gives a screen I havenUt seen before of
>information about Finder copyright etc,  I donUt remember before
>System 6 so could somebody tell me if it has been in the software before.......
>
>If you know - tell the world. Enquiring minds.............

  Gosh I feel old... :-)

  The picture from "About the Finder" in 7.0b4 and probably later 7.0
versions is exactly the same picture which one of the first released Finder
versions used in the "About the Finder" box.  I think the version was Finder
1.1g.
  To have seen this version, you need to have used a 128K Macintosh about 7
years ago.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (04/04/91)

From wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) come these immortal words:
>In article <3751@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:
>>2) Option About the finder gives a screen I haven't seen before of
>>information about Finder copyright etc,  I don't remember before
>>System 6 so could somebody tell me if it has been in the software before...

>  Gosh I feel old... :-)
>
>  The picture from "About the Finder" in 7.0b4 and probably later 7.0
>versions is exactly the same picture which one of the first released Finder
>versions used in the "About the Finder" box.  I think the version was Finder
>1.1g.
>  To have seen this version, you need to have used a 128K Macintosh about 7
>years ago.

	Did they really put that back?  Good for them!  I remember when it
first disappeared I was pretty disappointed with the plain box it was
replaced with.

	At least THIS Finder doesn't automatically create a new "Empty
Folder" every time you boot!  Tell me, is the new "About..." box in colour?

	August of '84... wow... seven years.

>-- Mark Wilkins

						Derek L.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (04/04/91)

The icons are in the system file. See the Finder chapter of IM VI.

The picture appeared long, long time ago. System One I think.
(so young and yet a veteran :-)

Arno.
--
   /======================//==========================================/
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /

gavin@ramsay.UUCP (Gavin Eadie) (04/04/91)

In article <3751@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:

> 2) Option About the finder gives a screen I haven't seen before of
> information about Finder copyright etc,  I don't remember before
> System 6 so could somebody tell me if it has been in the software before.......
>
> If you know - tell the world. Enquiring minds.............

	How quickly they forget ... that screen was the "About Finder" screen
	from the very first Finder ... a little nostalgia for us old farts who
	remember running applications in 128k !

Gavin Eadie                                        Ramsay Consulting
                                                   507 Second Street
(313) 665-2819                                   Ann Arbor, MI 48103

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/04/91)

In article <11519@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>  The picture from "About the Finder" in 7.0b4 and probably later 7.0
>versions is exactly the same picture which one of the first released Finder
>versions used in the "About the Finder" box.  I think the version was Finder
>1.1g.
>  To have seen this version, you need to have used a 128K Macintosh about 7
>years ago.

Oh, wow! I remember that, and I remember missing it when it went away...
that was a nice pict.
--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that

rvirta@utu.fi (Risto Virtanen) (04/08/91)

In article <3751@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:

>1) There is an Icon of my Mac - a IIcx, alongside information about
>the system version and memory. I've looked for it with ResEdit (when
>it doesn't crash) but I can't find it. My guess is there are icons of
>all the current Macintosh's are available somewhere and I want to
>find them.
There is a book: Macintosh Programming Secrets by Scott Knaster (or was it Dan
Allen; black film noir covers anyway...) that has a whole chapter about
retrieving any icon from the Desktop file. That material is subject to change
though, so use it at your own risk...

Roisto
Am I using digital computer if I count with my fingers?