[comp.sys.mac.system] HD and Trash placement

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/07/91)

After much time and effort, I've made my Macintosh desktop so
weird that even J. Sculley wouldn't recognize my Mac.

To further my sick and crazed dreams of my own perfect Mac I
was wondering if anyone knows where the placement for the Hard
Drive and the Trash Icons are kept?  I've done about everything
else to my Hard Drive and Trash (Icons & Names changed), but
I've noticed that my trash can (Or Black Hole in my case) is not
on my layout grid, and I would rather my Hard Drive appear at the
bottom of the screen, rather than the top.  I think SYS 7.0 lets
you move the Trash and it will stay where you put it.  If anyone
cares I'm running 6.0.7 software.

Thank you in advance...
jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when
------------------------------|       I die!" - RoadHouse
"Oh,God I'm so depressed"  -  +-----------------------------------

tneu1@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Steve Linnerooth) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.055041.19173@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>...I would rather my Hard Drive appear at the
>bottom of the screen, rather than the top.  I think SYS 7.0 lets
>you move the Trash and it will stay where you put it.  If anyone
>cares I'm running 6.0.7 software.

I'll appologise for any errors in information now, for I can't remember all the
details.  It'll be as close as possible...
  I found a application on Sumex that was called "Trashcan Mover" (?).  It
allows you to set your trashcan location by running it, then simply clicking
where you want the trashcan to be.  If you were to get this and then look at
the code, you may be able to figure out how to do the same thing with the HD
icon.  I know I can't do that, but I'm sure a LOT of you out there can.  Hope
this helps.
              ```````````````````````````'''''''''''''''''''''''''
              `    Steve Linnerooth     `' Iowa State University '
              ` tneu1@ccvax.iastate.edu `'      Ames, Iowa       '
              ```````````````````````````'''''''''''''''''''''''''

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/08/91)

I wrote :

>After much time and effort, I've made my Macintosh desktop so
>weird that even J. Sculley wouldn't recognize my Mac.

>To further my sick and crazed dreams of my own perfect Mac I
>was wondering if anyone knows where the placement for the Hard
>Drive and the Trash Icons are kept?  I've done about everything
>else to my Hard Drive and Trash (Icons & Names changed), but
>I've noticed that my trash can (Or Black Hole in my case) is not
>on my layout grid, and I would rather my Hard Drive appear at the
>bottom of the screen, rather than the top.  I think SYS 7.0 lets
>you move the Trash and it will stay where you put it.  If anyone
>cares I'm running 6.0.7 software.

>Thank you in advance...
>jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when
>------------------------------|       I die!" - RoadHouse
>"Oh,God I'm so depressed"  -  +-----------------------------------

Well Steve Linnerooth gave the suggestion to find Trash can Mover at sumex
I remember getting this before, but it was supposed to only work for finder
6.1.4 (I don't know what system software that was, probably 6.0.4) Well, I'm
running 6.1.7, so I decided to copy my finder and change it's version number
to 6.0.4 (this program checks the finder number).  I then ran Trash can Mover
switched my finders and restarted, and it worked!  I would assume that any
finder between 6.1.4 and 6.1.7 can be patched with this program.

I did get a request on how to change the trash can, so I'll give some instructions here :

First you must have ResEdit (2.1 would work the best).

1) Make a copy of your Finder (don't mess with your original)
2) Open your Finder in resEdit.
3) Look at the ICN# recource.
4) There are two Icons for the Trash can (Empty and Filled).
5) Change these (Make sure their ID numbers are 130 (empty) and 134 (filled).
6) Next look in the STR# recource.
7) Look at STR# number 128
8) Look at Line number 5, this is the name of the trash can.
9) Look at STR# number 129
10) Lines 19, 20, and 42 hold error messaged involving the trash.
11) Download the program "Trash Patch" from sumex
12) In resEdit change your finder version number (vers resource) to 6.1.4
13) Use Trash Patch
14) Using ResEdit change your version number back to the original (mine
       was 6.1.7).
15) Switch your Finders in the system (try changing the original Finder
       to Finder.test and then put your revised Finder in)
16) Restart your Mac.

If something fails, or computer refuses to boot, boot from a floppy and
throw away your revised finder, and rename Finder.test back to Finder.

Disclamer: I can not take responsibility for any actions that you take
against your computer, and will not be to blame.

| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |