[comp.sys.mac.system] Is sys 7.0's 3D window the only option?

hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) (04/04/91)

I had the opportunity to see the demonstration of system 7.0 at
my university today. Aside from all the benefits sys 7.0 will
provide to the user, I noticed that it incorporated 3 dimensional
window to the finder (like those on NeXT). I found this to be a bit
distracting and makes the finder's windows look more like a metallic
object instead of a clean white paper. Since I use my mac for word-
processing, this is somewhat annoying. Any comments?

--
H.Seung		hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	3820 Locust Walk #876
		University of Pennsylvania	Philadelphia, PA 19104

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/04/91)

In article <40420@netnews.upenn.edu>, hseung@eniac (Hyunsuk Seung) writes:

>I had the opportunity to see the demonstration of system 7.0 at
>my university today. Aside from all the benefits sys 7.0 will
>provide to the user, I noticed that it incorporated 3 dimensional
>window to the finder (like those on NeXT). I found this to be a bit
>distracting and makes the finder's windows look more like a metallic
>object instead of a clean white paper. Since I use my mac for word-
>processing, this is somewhat annoying. Any comments?

You don't have to use the colored windows - the "Color" control panel
lets you set it to the good old black and white style.

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (04/04/91)

In article <40420@netnews.upenn.edu> hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) writes:

>I had the opportunity to see the demonstration of system 7.0 at
>my university today. Aside from all the benefits sys 7.0 will
>provide to the user, I noticed that it incorporated 3 dimensional
>window to the finder (like those on NeXT). I found this to be a bit
>distracting and makes the finder's windows look more like a metallic
>object instead of a clean white paper. Since I use my mac for word-
>processing, this is somewhat annoying. Any comments?

  The Color control panel has been completely re-written for System 7.  You
can change the colours of your windows through it.  Just pick Black & White,
and you'll have the classic windows back.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/08/91)

In article <40420@netnews.upenn.edu>, hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) writes:

> I had the opportunity to see the demonstration of system 7.0 at
> my university today. Aside from all the benefits sys 7.0 will
> provide to the user, I noticed that it incorporated 3 dimensional
> window to the finder (like those on NeXT). I found this to be a bit
> distracting and makes the finder's windows look more like a metallic
> object instead of a clean white paper. Since I use my mac for word-
> processing, this is somewhat annoying. Any comments?
>
> --
> H.Seung		hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	3820 Locust Walk #876
> 		University of Pennsylvania	Philadelphia, PA 19104

Set your monitor to black and white, get a portable, or use a compact mac.
That way you don't have to put up with the 3D look.  I think the purpose is
to make it look more of an object then 'plain white paper'.

tim

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/09/91)

It's even easier than that:
just go to the Color control panel and set the window color to b&w
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |