[comp.sys.mac.system] LaserWriter 6.1 and TrueType/PostScript fonts

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (04/07/91)

In article <51203@apple.Apple.COM> winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) writes:
>The LaserWriter 6.1 driver is on the Macintosh Printing Tools disk that
>comes with the StyleWriter and Personal LaserWriter LS.

  Is it possible to convince LaserWriter 6.1, when using a TrueType
family which is also available in PostScript form on a LW/LW+ printer,
and generating a postscript file on disk, to use the PostScript
equivalent and not generate the 300K or so of downloadable TrueType
stuff?

  I realize that the PostScript "Times" and TrueType "Times" aren't
the same, and that if the spacing is different, there will be
differences in the printed output, but it would be nice to have an
option to do this anyway.  (I transfer PS files at 1200 baud. :-/)
I've been delaying switching printer drivers because of this.

  Also, does anyone know if Apple plans to supply TrueType fonts and
software for their laser printers that would run on the *printer* and
not on the Mac itself?  Would this be available as an upgrade to the
LW // NTX, say?

  E-mail, please, unless you feel this is of general interest.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison | "VMS Forever!" |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (04/09/91)

In article <RANG.91Apr6153027@nexus.cs.wisc.edu> rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton
Rang) writes:
>   Is it possible to convince LaserWriter 6.1, when using a TrueType
> family which is also available in PostScript form on a LW/LW+ printer,
> and generating a postscript file on disk, to use the PostScript
> equivalent and not generate the 300K or so of downloadable TrueType
> stuff?
>
>   I realize that the PostScript "Times" and TrueType "Times" aren't
> the same, and that if the spacing is different, there will be
> differences in the printed output, but it would be nice to have an
> option to do this anyway.  (I transfer PS files at 1200 baud. :-/)
> I've been delaying switching printer drivers because of this.

Another form of "Font Substitution", egad. While font handling on the Mac
is already too complicated, I must say this sounds attractive, if the
techniques outlined below cannot be implemented..

>   Also, does anyone know if Apple plans to supply TrueType fonts and
> software for their laser printers that would run on the *printer* and
> not on the Mac itself?  Would this be available as an upgrade to the
> LW // NTX, say?

I expect we'll see TrueType/TrueImage printers from Apple some day.

It seems that Apple could already do the following with the NTX (because
this would probably require additional memory):

1) Cache the 300dpi TrueType bitmaps in memory on the NTX;

2) Cache the 300dpi TrueType bitmaps on a hard disk connected to the NTX;

3) Download the 680x0 machine language code to the NTX to convert the
TrueType outline description (also downloaded to the NTX/stored on NTX
disk/stored on a ROM cartridge) to a 300dpi TrueType bitmap. (A similar
technique is used, I understand, to implement "Graphics Smoothing".)

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000