[comp.sys.mac.system] MultiSpool request

dbert@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/06/91)

OK, I've tried and tried and cannot get Multispool to work for me.  I even
e-mailed the guy who originally submitted it to info-mac and still I cannot
make it work.  So I have a request for one of those lucky souls out there who
*has* been able to make it work....could someone please take an 800K disk and
just install a simple system on it, with multifinder, the imagewriter driver,
and multispool (PrintMonitor and Backgrounder are *not* needed I have been
repeatedly told) and use DiskCopy 4.1 to make a .image file of this disk (test
it first to make sure Multispool works on it! :) ) and stuff and binhex it
and then mail it to me?  I know this would be time-consuming, but maybe if
some kind-hearted soul finds him or herself with some free time over the
weekend?  I'm think that if I can get ahold of a working copy of it I can
experiment and figure out exactly why that program is so flakey.  I will of
course post the result of my experimentation to the net for all to read and
benefit from.  Any takers?

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr6.033849.5383@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dbert@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:
>OK, I've tried and tried and cannot get Multispool to work for me.  I even
>e-mailed the guy who originally submitted it to info-mac and still I cannot
>make it work.  So I have a request for one of those lucky souls out there who
>*has* been able to make it work....could someone please take an 800K disk and
>just install a simple system on it, with multifinder, the imagewriter driver,
>and multispool (PrintMonitor and Backgrounder are *not* needed I have been
>repeatedly told) and use DiskCopy 4.1 to make a .image file of this disk (test
>it first to make sure Multispool works on it! :) ) and stuff and binhex it
>and then mail it to me?  I know this would be time-consuming, but maybe if
>some kind-hearted soul finds him or herself with some free time over the
>weekend?  I'm think that if I can get ahold of a working copy of it I can
>experiment and figure out exactly why that program is so flakey.  I will of
>course post the result of my experimentation to the net for all to read and
>benefit from.  Any takers?

Well, for anyone who's having similar problems of getting "Print Error #0" in
Multispool I was *unable* to determine any cause.  A very kind soul named
Charissa Aclin took the time to stuff and mail a disk containing a working
system witha working Multispool on it to me, and I unstuffed it and it failed
on my Mac Plus with rev 2 ROMs.  I can only infer it must be the ROMs that are
responsible, because it worked fine for Charissa.  I guess all us folks with
older Macs are out of luck unless some ever has any luck getting ahold of the
author of Multispool, or knows of another alternative that can work for
Imagewriter printers. :(

--
Doug Siebert                    |                dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)          |  "All opinions expressed herein are obviously