[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 <=> dead HD?

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/04/91)

One of my friends across the hall is a Student Apple Rep. and he got
a hold of 7.0b4 and used it quit a bit until he decided that after the
multitude of bombs, and software not working (mostly AfterDark), he took
it off.

Well funny thing, he reinstalled 6.07 and went to work, but he still had
constant bombs.  Using Norton, he did a disk repair, it said "This hard
drive has been used with system 7.0 I can not repair it."  What is this?
Has anyone else had any problems like this?  Is this John S.'s way of
telling us that if we don't use system 7.0 then we're screwed?

Jon Sweet              " I have reverse paranoia, I think
                                I'm following someone"

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.151845.17768@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jtsweet@uokmax (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>One of my friends across the hall is a Student Apple Rep. and he got
>a hold of 7.0b4 and used it quit a bit until he decided that after the
>multitude of bombs, and software not working (mostly AfterDark), he took
>it off.
>
>Well funny thing, he reinstalled 6.07 and went to work, but he still had
>constant bombs.  Using Norton, he did a disk repair, it said "This hard
>drive has been used with system 7.0 I can not repair it."  What is this?
>Has anyone else had any problems like this?  Is this John S.'s way of
>telling us that if we don't use system 7.0 then we're screwed?

This message is a perfect example of why Apple would have to be out of
their f-ing minds to make pre-release system software available to the
general public.

RTFM - the directory structure has changed slightly for system 7,
which was pretty plainly documented in the installation instructions.
I believe this was right next to "this is pre-release software - don't
let it touch any important data, or you will loose."  This was
sprinkled liberally throughout all beta docs.

On a more helpful note, you can press the option key when clicking OK
on that Norton dialog and it will continue rather than quitting.
Again, I don't know what the risks are, so don't blame me if you get
hosed.

anders

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.151845.17768@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jtsweet@uokmax (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
   >One of my friends across the hall is a Student Apple Rep. and he got
   >a hold of 7.0b4 and used it quit a bit until he decided that after the
   >multitude of bombs, and software not working (mostly AfterDark), he took
   >it off.
   >
   >Well funny thing, he reinstalled 6.07 and went to work, but he still had
   >constant bombs.  Using Norton, he did a disk repair, it said "This hard
   >drive has been used with system 7.0 I can not repair it."  What is this?
   >Has anyone else had any problems like this?  Is this John S.'s way of
   >telling us that if we don't use system 7.0 then we're screwed?

	Well on a related topic.  Since I have two hard drives, I plan to
	put System 7.0 on one and 6.0.7 on the other (at least for a short
	while).  My questions regarding the incompatible file formats are:

	1. Can you access files on a System 7.0 system from a 6.0.7 system
	   running Desktop Manager?  Also, can you do the opposite (i.e.
	   access files on a 6.0.7 from a 7.0 System)?

	2. Can you set the Startup device on a system with both a 7.0 and
	   6.0.7 System (i.e. does the Startup Device CDev work).

	I hope Apple has not made it impossible to go back to a older System
	after upgrading (i.e. what is the answer to the original posters
	question)?

	Many thanks,

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (04/06/91)

In article <YEE.91Apr5134959@katana.osf.org>, yee@osf (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>	1. Can you access files on a System 7.0 system from a 6.0.7 system
>	   running Desktop Manager?  Also, can you do the opposite (i.e.
>	   access files on a 6.0.7 from a 7.0 System)?

It doesn't matter whether you run Desktop Manager or not, you can
still access files both way without problems.  Files that are put on
the desktop under 7.0 are actually put into an invisible folder called
"Desktop Folder."  This folder is visible under 6.0.7.

>	2. Can you set the Startup device on a system with both a 7.0 and
>	   6.0.7 System (i.e. does the Startup Device CDev work).

Yes, as long as your drives have separated SCSI ID's.  That is, Silver
Lining multiple-volumes-from-the-same-drive setup will not work well,
but that have nothing to do with System 7.

>	I hope Apple has not made it impossible to go back to a older System
>	after upgrading (i.e. what is the answer to the original posters
>	question)?

I haven't had any problems.

anders

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/11/91)

Try rebuilding the desktop under 6.0.x, and removing the
Desktop DB and DF files (they're invisible).

Steve Klingsporn