[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0 file sharing speed

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) (04/10/91)

   ARRRGGHH!!  As i posted before, this lack of the slider to set file
sharing speed in 7.0b4 is really annoying me, and now people who use my
computer over the lan are asking why my server is so much slower than
before.  Is the slider back in FC1 or FC2?  Does anyone know why they
killed it in the first place?  Please respond, this slider thing is
really beginning to bother me...

                                    -- jeff

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/10/91)

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) writes:

>   ARRRGGHH!!  As i posted before, this lack of the slider to set file
>sharing speed in 7.0b4 is really annoying me, and now people who use my
>computer over the lan are asking why my server is so much slower than
>before.  Is the slider back in FC1 or FC2?  Does anyone know why they
>killed it in the first place?  Please respond, this slider thing is
>really beginning to bother me...

>                                    -- jeff

The slider isn't back in f2c2.
(hmm.. maybe if I hold down option....)
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (04/11/91)

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) writes:
>  ARRRGGHH!!  As i posted before, this lack of the slider to set file
>sharing speed in 7.0b4 is really annoying me, and now people who use my
>computer over the lan are asking why my server is so much slower than
>before.  Is the slider back in FC1 or FC2?  Does anyone know why they
>killed it in the first place?  Please respond, this slider thing is
>really beginning to bother me...

The word on AppleLink is that in 7.0b1, the slider did nothing at all--
it was a placebo only. When they fixed it in a later version, they found
that users were confused about it's use. When it was set to all the way
to local, it made remote file access 10 times slower even if the local
machine was doing nothing at all. The Apple people decided they could
remove the slider to prevent user confusion and take care of the main
user complaint about file sharing (jerky local performance) by doing
some tuning of the file sharing software. Obviously, as of beta 4 they
hadn't perfected the tuning.
--
Norman Graham

<norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>                 Standard Disclaimer Applies
{cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (04/11/91)

I haven't had much to say about 7 because I am generally content to wait
for them to do it right by themselves... but one thing about File Sharing
bothers me greatly.

In Beta 4, there was no way (that I found, anyway) to set the maximum number
of simultaneous clients. This feature existed in the Alphas.

I haven't had time to look at FC1, so if it's back, please tell me...

The reason this is so important is that I heard from a source that I considered
to be fairly reliable that the maximum had been permanently pegged at 5. This
is disastrously bad- it means that an office of 20 people (for example) can't
all keep a file-server mounted. You might think that for 20 people, a real
copy of AppleShare is warranted. But that's not relevant- they may have a
server (or two) already, and simply want to use the File Sharing for infrequent
tasks (a drop folder server, or a file archive, etc.).

If we're stuck with 5 clients the utility of F.S. will be crippled.  I hope
that, if this is the case, it will be possible to patch it.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis