[comp.sys.mac.system] EtherTalk 1 and Sys 7.0

name@host (long name) (04/11/91)

I have recently been trying to prepare our lab for the upgrade to sys 7.0.  We
have one major problem though.  The gurus in networking at Stanford do not as
of yet support either AppleTalk phase 2 or EtherTalk 2 campus wide.  That means
that our net is entirely ETalk 1 right now.  I can't seem to get any of the
installers I have to install an Etalk 1 extension etc. into sys 7.0b4.  I have
heard that Apple is aware of this, I just wonder if they are doing anything
about this.

Jay Heyman
Macintosh Support
Knowledge Systems Laboratory
SUMEX
Stanford University.

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (04/12/91)

name@host (long name) writes:

>I have recently been trying to prepare our lab for the upgrade to sys 7.0.  We
>have one major problem though.  The gurus in networking at Stanford do not as
>of yet support either AppleTalk phase 2 or EtherTalk 2 campus wide.  That means
>that our net is entirely ETalk 1 right now.  I can't seem to get any of the
>installers I have to install an Etalk 1 extension etc. into sys 7.0b4.  I have
>heard that Apple is aware of this, I just wonder if they are doing anything
>about this.

>Jay Heyman
>Macintosh Support
>Knowledge Systems Laboratory
>SUMEX
>Stanford University.

Chose 'EtherTalk' when you install System 7, then drag the EtherTalk file
from your Phase 1 installation disk to the Extensions Folder inside the
System folder.  Open the network CDEV, select the Phase 1 Icon instead of the
Phase 2 Icon and you're in.  (The Phase 2 Icon has double arrows, the
Phase 1 icon has single arrows)

The Phase 1 EtherTalk file will not be shipped on the System 7 installation
diskettes -- just Phase 2.  System 7 does work fine with the old Phase 1
EtherTalk file; we just don't distribute it as part of System Software
like we do with the Phase 2 EtherTalk file.

Mike Shoemaker

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.180956.23378@medisg.Stanford.EDU> name@host (long
name) writes:

> I have recently been trying to prepare our lab for the upgrade to sys
> 7.0.  We have one major problem though.  The gurus in networking at
> Stanford do not as of yet support either AppleTalk phase 2 or
> EtherTalk 2 campus wide. That means that our net is entirely ETalk 1
> right now.  I can't seem to get any of the installers I have to install
> an Etalk 1 extension etc. into sys 7.0b4. I have heard that Apple is
> aware of this, I just wonder if they are doing anything about this.

Jay,

Just drop the EtherTalk 1.x adev in the extensions folder and use the network cdev to select it...

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com