[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple Version numbering was Incompatibilities with 7.0x

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (04/12/91)

What the heck kind of a version numbering system is responsible for
this: 7.0f2c2? :-)

What does that mean? Have there been so many version changes that they
started to use hex numbering? :-)

Matt

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/12/91)

In article <23104@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:
>What the heck kind of a version numbering system is responsible for
>this: 7.0f2c2? :-)
>
>What does that mean? Have there been so many version changes that they
>started to use hex numbering? :-)
>

>Matt

Actually, Matt, it's not Hex.

a= alpha, b=beta, q=quicklook, f=final, c=candidate
They're internal numbering schemes.  The Software that is being talked
about is candidate #2 for System 7.0 final.

Steve

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (04/12/91)

In article <23104@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:
>What the heck kind of a version numbering system is responsible for
>this: 7.0f2c2? :-)
>
>What does that mean? Have there been so many version changes that they
>started to use hex numbering? :-)

  Believe me, these version numbers definitely don't work quite well with
the currently existing vers resource.
  Without going into all the gory details about our build system and our
internal version scheme (which this is part of), for each "official" build
(such as a9, b1, b4, f1, f2 and so on), we have certain criteria.  For
a build to be officially accepted by our testers, certain milestones need
to be met, or as the case is lately, certain bugs need to be fixed.  We
make intermediate builds which are candidates (which is where the c comes
from) for that version number.  So f2c2 is the second candidate build for
our second final build.  It probably doesn't make too much sense to outsiders
(it barely makes sense to me, and I'm the one that's building all these
systems) how this scheme works, and that's mostly because no one outside of
Apple saw this schme until FC1 and f2c2.  It made perfect sense for the alpha
and beta builds.  Really.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth..