[comp.sys.mac.system] On 7.0 Bitching...

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/11/91)

Hello, members of this group.
This is not a "flame," but rather something I'd just like to call to
your attention.  In the past few months, there's been a lot of
bitching and moaning/complaining about System 7.0.  Many of the
aspects to the new System that you mention are flawed, as many of
the attitudes come from other sources (MacLEAK, MacUser, MacWorld, etc.),
and not via direct experience with preliminary versions of the software.

System 7.0 is not going to be hard to upgrade to.
If you actually buy your software like most people might, and you
are actually registered, any flaws with it working in 7.0 will probably
be fixed with new versions around the time of 7.0's introduction.
The only real problems I've found with 7.0 is some applications don't
run well under 32-Bit Addressing mode, as they are not 32-Bit "Clean."
Such applications will most definitely have upgrades, and respectable
developers don't charge much, if anything, for their mistakes in
development that cause incompatibility.

Why all the complaining?  Apple is ENHANCING the Macintosh experience,
not complicating it.  7.0 impliments many new technologies and concepts
that are essential in the progression of Macintosh as a key platform
in the 1990's.  You complain about the System Software, the limitations,
and bitch that "7.0 isn't 'out' yet," yet as the inevitable date nears,
you complain that "I'm not changing the way I do things," and "I'm not
going to 'rape' my system," etc.  If you have had honest and real
experience with the software, you know that it doesn't cause you
to change anything you've done in the past that radically, but rather
enhances the experience in a far more intuitive way.  The addition
of AppleEvents, the Edition Manager, Aliases, the re-written Finder,
the "Find" command, additions to the file structure/desktop manager,
virtual memory, 32-bit addressing, better support for extensions ("INITs,
cdev's"), etc. to name a FEW should be welcomed, and not complained about.

Apple has done a wonderful job on the development of System 7.0.
Any worries I have are due to possible bugs in the release software, yet
all software has bugs.  Someone I talked to said "7.0 will be like 6.0,"
as they referred to bugs, etc.  Change has some consequences, and I assure
you all that the transition to 7.0 is an easy, logical, intuitive,
and painless one.

I think the 7.0 team deserves praise, and this group should remain
enlightened/excited, as 7.0 will push the Macintosh further along in
the direction of the imminent future.  If you could see the interfaces
to (and some of you have) the new managers/routines, you'd be amazed;
Apple's done so much for developers.

The fact that Apple chose to include registered developers in the development
process has undoubtedly enriched the final 7.0 product, as well as
proven effective in helping developers produce 7.0 "savvy/studly" or "compliant/
compatible" products.  Apple has undoubtely gained a great deal from the
experience, and in the end, you, the users, gain so much -- Apple is to
be commended for this process.

I think it would be all too tragic if on intro day, John Sculley does his
usual "hi!  hey, look at these new products, and I'm Apple's spokesman..."
speech.  I think the 7.0 team, in conjunction with the "bigwigs" should
come out, and basically talk about the experience.  I think the credit
should be given where it's due -- Sculley doesn't really deserve/warrant
any applause on this one, but rather the engineers do.  I would really
love to see the engineers compose a director movie or hypercard stack,
and include it on another disk in the package.  I think that each and
every developer that worked on 7.0 deserves a standing ovation.

So, enuff of the bitching, eh?  Sit back, and watch the magic unfold.
7.0 is just the beginning -- the developers imminently make any
platform/system software fly, and I'm sure we will all see things
that literally amaze us, and allow us to work in ways yet unthought of
or previously only dreamt of.

Just my thoughts,

Steve Klingsporn
klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu

john@granada.mit.edu (John Olson) (04/11/91)

In article <14127@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:

|> So, enuff of the bitching, eh?  Sit back, and watch the magic unfold.
|> 7.0 is just the beginning -- the developers imminently make any
|> platform/system software fly, and I'm sure we will all see things
|> that literally amaze us, and allow us to work in ways yet unthought of
|> or previously only dreamt of.

Hear, hear!  I await the release of 7.0 with bated breath, just so that the Usenet
can be freed from the everlasting speculation.  We should declare a "7.0 Holiday"
and discuss anything else for a while.

John Olson.

lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (04/13/91)

Klingsporn) writes:

>Hello, members of this group.
.
.
.
>So, enuff of the bitching, eh?  Sit back, and watch the magic unfold.
>7.0 is just the beginning -- the developers imminently make any
>platform/system software fly, and I'm sure we will all see things
>that literally amaze us, and allow us to work in ways yet unthought of
>or previously only dreamt of.
>

>Just my thoughts,
>
>Steve Klingsporn
>klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu