[comp.sys.mac.system] 7.0b4 bugs was

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (04/10/91)

In article <50865@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:

>  If I'm not getting my Finder dialogs confused, I think that particular
>dialog now says "Updating disk for new system software" or something like
>that.  But that dialog does still exist when you actuall do rebuild the
>desktop.

Theses bugs happened on a Mac II and  Mac IIx with 5 megs of memory and no
inits. Just a standard system install. To a  harddisk with no system folder.

I would have posted these to Applelink but my account expired. ( Can't afford
it)

Time for 7.0b4 bugs.

Finder bug

When that dialog box comes up select "About Help Balloons" in the Help
menu and the dismiss the alert. Opps! the bargraph is now being drawn
on the desktop. I guess someone wasn't reading the UMPG were it states
that you should set to a known vaild  Grafport before you draw. Actually this
happens in the file copy dialog also, so I imagine it happens any time the
finder uses the moveable modal dialog box.

Page Set or Print dialog box bug.

Select pagesetup in the finder. Sometimes it does not grey out the edit menu.
If it doesn't, select any of the standard editing commands. All the mac
does is beep at you. I don't know which is the bug. Should I not be able to
access the menu when a modal dialog box is up or should I be allowed to do
the standard editing commands from the menu.

Fatal bug (this one I haven't repeated because I really need to get some work
done and not debug system 7.0 for Apple)

Open the control panels folder. Do a Select All. Select open from the file
menu.

After about the third or fourth control panel was opened the finder started to
complain "The control panel is damaged or not enough memory" I clicked ok
because that was the only option. As it continued to try to open more it
complained some more and then finally crashed.

Anytime I drop something into the apple menu, a grey pattern fills the rounded
upper corners of the screen.

There were a few others that I can't think of at the moment. I will post them
when I remember.

Matt

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/10/91)

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:

>In article <50865@apple.Apple.COM> nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:

>>  If I'm not getting my Finder dialogs confused, I think that particular
>>dialog now says "Updating disk for new system software" or something like
>>that.  But that dialog does still exist when you actuall do rebuild the
>>desktop.

>Theses bugs happened on a Mac II and  Mac IIx with 5 megs of memory and no
>inits. Just a standard system install. To a  harddisk with no system folder.

>I would have posted these to Applelink but my account expired. ( Can't afford
>it)

>Time for 7.0b4 bugs.

>Finder bug

>When that dialog box comes up select "About Help Balloons" in the Help
>menu and the dismiss the alert. Opps! the bargraph is now being drawn
>on the desktop. I guess someone wasn't reading the UMPG were it states
>that you should set to a known vaild  Grafport before you draw. Actually this
>happens in the file copy dialog also, so I imagine it happens any time the
>finder uses the moveable modal dialog box.

>Page Set or Print dialog box bug.

>Select pagesetup in the finder. Sometimes it does not grey out the edit menu.
>If it doesn't, select any of the standard editing commands. All the mac
>does is beep at you. I don't know which is the bug. Should I not be able to
>access the menu when a modal dialog box is up or should I be allowed to do
>the standard editing commands from the menu.

>Fatal bug (this one I haven't repeated because I really need to get some work
>done and not debug system 7.0 for Apple)

>Open the control panels folder. Do a Select All. Select open from the file
>menu.

>After about the third or fourth control panel was opened the finder started to
>complain "The control panel is damaged or not enough memory" I clicked ok
>because that was the only option. As it continued to try to open more it
>complained some more and then finally crashed.

>Anytime I drop something into the apple menu, a grey pattern fills the rounded
>upper corners of the screen.

>There were a few others that I can't think of at the moment. I will post them
>when I remember.

>Matt

NONE of these bugs exist in 7.0f2c2, as far as I can tell.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr10.020319.17136@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
> mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
[stuff about finder bugs]

>>Matt
>

> NONE of these bugs exist in 7.0f2c2, as far as I can tell.
>
> --
> Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
> Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
> walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

How about the one in Finder 7.0b4 where if you have a folder window open with
all your icons fitting  nicely inside the window (via the zoom box) and do a
'clean up desktop' that causes some of the icons to be rearranged and placed
in a row above the top row -- the scroll bars are not updated and you can't
scroll up to see the hidden icons. The fix to that is either to close the
window and reopen it or resize the window with the zoom box. Granted it's
a cosmetic bug, but it's still a bug. :)

Also, in 7.0b4, VM seems to cause more problems that it is worth. (I'm running
it on an SI without a co-processor). Some inits like Software FPU will not
run properly if VM is enabled. It thinks that I have a hardware FPU installed
(I wish :) ). What's in VM that changes the way the machine appears to
applications? The second implication is, how stable will it be in the final
version? Will it be at the mercy of improperly written applications?
(horrible thought!)

So are the bugs still there in 7.0fc2 ? (wow, the version numbers are moving
along quickly!)

tcwan@umiami.miami.edu

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/11/91)

tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:
>How about the one in Finder 7.0b4 where if you have a folder window open with
>all your icons fitting  nicely inside the window (via the zoom box) and do a
>'clean up desktop' that causes some of the icons to be rearranged and placed
>in a row above the top row -- the scroll bars are not updated and you can't
>scroll up to see the hidden icons. The fix to that is either to close the
>window and reopen it or resize the window with the zoom box. Granted it's
>a cosmetic bug, but it's still a bug. :)

>Also, in 7.0b4, VM seems to cause more problems that it is worth. (I'm running
>it on an SI without a co-processor). Some inits like Software FPU will not
>run properly if VM is enabled. It thinks that I have a hardware FPU installed
>(I wish :) ). What's in VM that changes the way the machine appears to
>applications? The second implication is, how stable will it be in the final
>version? Will it be at the mercy of improperly written applications?
>(horrible thought!)

>So are the bugs still there in 7.0fc2 ? (wow, the version numbers are moving
>along quickly!)

>tcwan@umiami.miami.edu

The cosmetic window bug is gone, but PseudoFPU still doesn't work.  However,
I have discovered that Excel (a big IIsi offender) works fine (as far as I can tell) on a IIsi without PseudoFPU installed.

have any other programs you'd like to know about?

sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.085629.8840@umiami.ir.miami.edu> tcwan@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:

   Also, in 7.0b4, VM seems to cause more problems that it is worth. (I'm running
   it on an SI without a co-processor). Some inits like Software FPU will not
   run properly if VM is enabled. It thinks that I have a hardware FPU installed
   (I wish :) ). What's in VM that changes the way the machine appears to
   applications? The second implication is, how stable will it be in the final
   version?

This is probably not VM's fault. Inits and applications that have code
executed at interrupt time must prevent the memory pages containing that
code from being swapped by locking it. If they don't, a page fault may
arise within a page fault.

--
Lars Sundstrom, Lund University, Department of Applied Electronics,
Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden Phone: +46-46109513 Fax:+46-46129948

In article <1991Apr10.224327.16949@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>The cosmetic window bug is gone, but PseudoFPU still doesn't work.  However,
>I have discovered that Excel (a big IIsi offender) works fine (as far as I can tell) on a IIsi without PseudoFPU installed.

If PseudoFPU claims there is a hardware FPU, and Excel works, don't you think
it is possible that the System includes an FPU emulator?

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.082548.28796@lth.se>, sund@tde.lth.se (Lars Sundstr|m) writes:

> This is probably not VM's fault. Inits and applications that have code
> executed at interrupt time must prevent the memory pages containing that
> code from being swapped by locking it. If they don't, a page fault may
> arise within a page fault.

See Tech Note 285.  The System Heap is held in physical memory, so INITs that
only use the System Heap will work.  If they allocate other memory that might
be needed at interrupt time then they will have to be revised to hold that
range of addresses in physical memory.