[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 testers: a memory question

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (04/15/91)

A question for System 7 testers:

How much free RAM can a user of a 4-meg Macintosh Plus expect to have
for applications under System 7, assuming a modest (i.e. 128K or so)
disk cache?  My worry is that with the extra functionality of System
7, plus the many software patches required for the old Macs, that 4
megs will be pushing the lower limit of functionality under
Multifinder.

Any comments will be appreciated...

--
Jeff
jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.011222.29728@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
> A question for System 7 testers:
>
> How much free RAM can a user of a 4-meg Macintosh Plus expect to have
> for applications under System 7, assuming a modest (i.e. 128K or so)
> disk cache?  My worry is that with the extra functionality of System
> 7, plus the many software patches required for the old Macs, that 4
> megs will be pushing the lower limit of functionality under
> Multifinder.
>
> Any comments will be appreciated...

I've got b4 running on a 4 Meg Classic with a 128K cache (which
BTW, speeds it up considerably from a 32K cache or so). I've got about 5
extensions and 3 or 4 INIT/CDEV's running including After Dark. With this
setup, I've got about 2650K of RAM free. When you add it up, you can run
PageMaker 4.0 AND MacDraw II at the same time and still have some memory
left.
	I would have to say to 2 Meg users that even though apple says that
you can run System 7 with 2 Megs, you will probably want to upgrade to at least
4 Megs to get the most out of it. Since "Multifinder" is always on, you will
probably never get more than 2 programs to run at a time and most likely
never more than one big one. In addition, if you wanted to run, say Think
Pascal, forget it with 2 Megs of memory. To run effectively, it needs a
partition of 2 Megs alone. The good news is that unless you're really tight
on money which, granted a lot of us are, you can upgrade that Plus/Classic/SE
from 2 Megs to 4 Megs for under $100. SIMM prices are really low right now,
so it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade. Same goes for 2.5 meg users. Not too
bad but, why not upgrade if you can afford it?
	As for 4 Meg users, just keep in mind that you'll have somewhere in the
area of 2650K of free memory for programs, etc... And I guess that may be more
when the final version ships because of debugging code, etc... Never fear,
people.

> --
> Jeff
> jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

Dan
--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.011222.29728@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
> A question for System 7 testers:
>
> How much free RAM can a user of a 4-meg Macintosh Plus expect to have
> for applications under System 7, assuming a modest (i.e. 128K or so)
> disk cache?  My worry is that with the extra functionality of System
> 7, plus the many software patches required for the old Macs, that 4
> megs will be pushing the lower limit of functionality under
> Multifinder.
>
> Any comments will be appreciated...
>
> --
> Jeff
> jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

With a 364k cache, System 7.0fc1 takes up about 1700k out of my 4 megs.

tim shea
internet: tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu
AO: tshea