[comp.sys.mac.system] Automatically Deleting Files

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (04/15/91)

Hi,
  I work in a public computing lab here at the University of Pittsburgh, and
we have a recurring problem of people (accidently, or otherwise) saving files
on our startup disks.  Removing them becomes a job which must be done a couple
of times a week, as the 800k disks only have about 58k available when fresh.
Add to this a bloated desktop, and the disks are getting pretty full.

  My question is this:
  We use Temperament II to "nuke" to settings and temp files from the system
folder (constantly checking for new ones to add to the list).  The question is
-Is there an init (pref. freeware) which caould be given a list of filenames
NOT to nuke.  I.e., we tell it that these files belong on the disk & it removes
everything else.

And answers appreciated!!!

Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (04/16/91)

In article <115508@unix.cis.pitt.edu> macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:
>Hi,
>  I work in a public computing lab here at the University of Pittsburgh, and
>we have a recurring problem of people (accidently, or otherwise) saving files
>on our startup disks.  Removing them becomes a job which must be done a couple
>of times a week, as the 800k disks only have about 58k available when fresh.
>Add to this a bloated desktop, and the disks are getting pretty full.

My suggestion is:

Make a fresh, virgin copy of the disk you want to use for a startup.
Use DiskCopy (look in pub/dts/sw.license on apple.com) to make an image of it,
and duplicate that image onto the rest of the disks.
Have a box of clean disks that you give to users.  Have them return disks
to a 'dirty' box, and reload them before you put them into the 'clean' box.
As long as you have more disks than macs, ought to work well (DiskCopy is
fast and easy to use, much more of both than the Finder).

This will not only get rid of data files, but will fix anything else done
to the disk, doesn't take up any room on the disks themselves, and will catch
sector flaws before they bite somebody.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner