[comp.sys.mac.system] Copying files in the backround of sys 7

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) (04/10/91)

Ok....people have been talking about System 7 allowing you to put the
copying of files in the backround. So how does one go about doing this?
Also, if you know of any other system 7 goodies I would appreciate knowing
them. Thanks for your help,
Dave
* David Faust | tigger@freezer.acs.udel.edu  | Some professors can only be     *
*             | tigger@chopin.udel.edu       | classified as weenies!!!!       *

wwg2101@zeus.tamu.edu (GILPIN, W.W.) (04/10/91)

>Ok....people have been talking about System 7 allowing you to put the
>copying of files in the backround. So how does one go about doing this?

Have an application running when you begin the copy (from the finder) then use
the Application menu (i.e. multifinder menu) to change to the app. Simple.

Wes

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/10/91)

In article <50219@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
> Ok....people have been talking about System 7 allowing you to put the
> copying of files in the backround. So how does one go about doing this?
> Also, if you know of any other system 7 goodies I would appreciate knowing
> them. Thanks for your help,
> Dave

Well, it's pretty simple. You just drag copy a file or files from one disk
to another and the ensuing copy status dialog becomes semi-modeless. What this
means is that you can move the window around but can't click anywhere else on
the desktop. You *CAN*, however, click in the menubar, specifically in the top
right corner where the application menu is. You can the switch to another
application that is currently running. Ah, that's the catch. You can't start
an application after starting a copy, but you can resume one. For example, you
run MS Word and load up your term paper. You then switch back to the finder and
drag your big 400K file from one disk to another. The copy status box shows
the familiar status bar as the copy progresses. You then can switch back to
Word while the file is copying and continue typing. This is pretty neat. It's
a little jumpy during a background copy, but otherwise fine. It sure beats
waiting a few minutes for the copy to finish when you could be comparing text
from your term paper to your rough draft or something like that.

Dan

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.235116.8823@umiami.ir.miami.edu> dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
>[...]  This is pretty neat.. It's
>a little jumpy during a background copy, but otherwise fine. It sure beats
>waiting a few minutes for the copy to finish when you could be comparing text
>from your term paper to your rough draft or something like that.
>
>Dan

What I'd *really* like to do is format disks in the background.  It's nice to
be able to do that on the Next.  Especially great with hard disks and optical
cartridges, when the latter can take 20 minutes or half an hour.

bill

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) (04/10/91)

You can do something else while finder copies your files now! Enter
resedit open finder and locate the DLOG resource with the copy status
dialog/window. Change the window type to a ordinary window with no
close box. Change the window header text while you're at it.  Remember
to make a backup copy of finder before you alter it...

This is why it works: Multifinder will not do 'major' task swiches
while a 'dialog' (I forget the window type numbers) window is in
front. When you change the window type multifinder will allow major
task switch enabeling you to do something else while finder copies.

This technique can be used on other programs that holds up your Mac by
using a dialog window while doing something timeconsuming...  Like
Apple Fileexchange.

Remember to launch the program you want to use before starting the
copying, finder will be tied up copying, disabeling any application
launching. And lay of the files and directories you copy to/from...

I've been using this for some time now and have noticed no ill efects.

Nicolai

bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.235116.8823@umiami.ir.miami.edu>
dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
> From: dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
> Subject: Re: Copying files in the backround of sys 7
> Date: 10 Apr 91 03:51:16 GMT
>
> In article <50219@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) writes:
> > Ok....people have been talking about System 7 allowing you to put the
> > copying of files in the backround. So how does one go about doing this?
> > Also, if you know of any other system 7 goodies I would appreciate knowing
> > them. Thanks for your help,
> > Dave
>
> Well, it's pretty simple. You just drag copy a file or files from one disk
> to another and the ensuing copy status dialog becomes semi-modeless. What this
> means is that you can move the window around but can't click anywhere else on
> the desktop. You *CAN*, however, click in the menubar, specifically in the top
> right corner where the application menu is. You can the switch to another
> application that is currently running. Ah, that's the catch. You can't start
> an application after starting a copy, but you can resume one. For example, you
> run MS Word and load up your term paper. You then switch back to the finder and
> drag your big 400K file from one disk to another. The copy status box shows
> the familiar status bar as the copy progresses. You then can switch back to
> Word while the file is copying and continue typing. This is pretty neat. It's
> a little jumpy during a background copy, but otherwise fine. It sure beats
> waiting a few minutes for the copy to finish when you could be comparing text
> from your term paper to your rough draft or something like that.
>
> Dan

After using 7.0 for a while, I got frustrated with the finder being able to
switch between the running applications while it was copying files around,
but it not being able to start up new ones. This FKEY solves the problem. It is
a straight copy of the code from TN #126 (I think) -- compiled as a FKEY.

While the finder is busy (or indeed, while you are doing just about
anything), execute this FKEY and it will give you a standard file dialog box.
Select an application to start -- and off you go.

To Install:
Use resedit to copy the FKEY resource into your system file. You can also use
Suitcase. If you don't wish to use '0' as the FKEY number, use resedit to do a
'get resource info'. Change the number to any single digit (you should
probably avoid 1-4).

Think C was used to compile LaunchIt. This FKEY is free.

Bruce Beare
bjb@pyramid.com

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
:$%aKG@jMD'Pd,R0TG!"6593K8dP8)3!!!!!&*3!!!!$GZP0*9#%!!J!!"59b6'&
e!4`!!!!@!()!!aC548&%688J,5"-BA9ZBfK*G#"'5d9C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,8!!!!!!!!!!"849K8690A4!%!T#8"A+3P!9i!!!!
!!!!$F!!!!!!!!!*1!!$YM!!!!!!!!%$("BjEB9c%RPLU&AYGfKSXLlbkdPSYP[&
d,JT0&+05l-A+kPj%!P#8c#XV&CbbJQ0#81Q&6Y5m*(-JQNf6HG&!S+R9@ffk3D-
Dl!b9(Q6CGXi3K#%)3K#%)3K1I9CibRU5l[qT*f[c[6MdQ+h$2PHpimp+P&"M%G*
BCiCRRAD-TlXAGr'jZH(jb5@!-pf3!*CQr$-p+lfZlq-NM9!-+qbk6&ER@1N*F$b
@,ZrcUh#idHZd'HHkXGBqhMhBZlq0cFm2bJD4kbIH*Gpi5I0-8[-QblI*fQq&iCR
NSpcFeTq9(8ZFH88&Ef4`2*ChRm-cJG'HHMkqDeEkGS02e(K$`2VN9Z)iPambE,Y
TR1E'+h2$-mkl4P1THkT@Hd[6VY'BJcdQ+h2BpH0-k(AGrdY5MMFpBjahC$&hIDM
2c6B#XCiBTHC0Pfq1dGBk5YEle0mpMeimS(D"SMcUh1K4DprZI6*mqNaZ!MM[M*)
e3$#[[`r+"T(#(MY(HHIf2AhZQFjTr+f8#eZTReFXp-,%,(Kq"j,2$-mbE,YqQ%p
D!cVZ(pMeTbX+-eqG@iRlEei"haD6qTCck5U`!5a2bTrBpHKpQ)k5Nc`rU@FaDc(
%[$-mbE,YrGGGf8-qTCkB@)@2$p$mHFaINHQ%pD!cVZGc#Id6"hIRKQIGGGf8m2a
hCbAGlFk&[@2DE(VbBp@Sjj+2F0cE1*ZkSqJ$U&U61FdaGQhk,T!!PkPL2$m$kj&
ERdBef"NU%qDBTHC0PfqTHHQBQFqKT8'I3i0-2GTEY8NXS1Y8*JI@H`)!$8aKG@j
MD%Pd)%C,49PMD%Pd)%C,49N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&J!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!%C,49Nr2cmr!3#N*2U0T#6q)3!!!UF!!!!!!!!"i3!!!!$GCJ!
!!!!!!!!!ETJ!!!3)#%!!Qi!"$JEF%9$!$JCcdV"KN`H1R$GUbSbK3l#M4i)0Q)5
TifB-QL4d3"KC8L5,!))V@rkBq@2J[j[r!XE-3V-Q!*`j2`VY5)U%[NBI"C`DfM'
!MK)%"I!S3-D0("GMQ'V9fJYU`ajE`fiGX-KV`4i1TY!*)iG1'6NUhl!KmeCX!$4
J(1KNQ@9S%(hrh$Q*-aK-`amm"$V4"F!"P8G1kL!@Q!TCC#G@rR'!%k!(N!"rMZ"
!mIb2(4`YT0@ei"-%#K3Qrb#pF2&2(4)p!53)1I@$YL-NEQ,["[i2e'3"UG3TS3h
U6%"G3Gcp8p8#b6m2,B*lq%HM4h"6rh!)#Hj$L+Yr8S5F)5j#r@)!YQ"m)-e"5A!
1Ca$!S-h"-!!rkZh@fcqQ['H(I26CTePqqfRQRaI469GGB12p)`mF6(6`'6e`$+(
K2rA!B8!,RpRMh6p+r+22FJ!NF)B#U`&$d$rmJ%'!H65U4j`l)(b4LM`q!),JCrA
GaiB#LreM3)2p#3!(!%jiF9PQ`)$`4!KZ!+!!!",%N!!P!J"B!%S&RM8@T3KIF!&
C0'K#m%'2CKJ!4`+LJ'(MR+D!%D36d639P8)*%F33&9k`JJ"(!A%!J!alY863PJ5
"d"'K$#!J%NNQS35M2`!!:

In article <2802CC67.25812@orion.oac.uci.edu>, bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:

> What I'd *really* like to do is format disks in the background.  It's nice to
> be able to do that on the Next.  Especially great with hard disks and optical
> cartridges, when the latter can take 20 minutes or half an hour.
>
> bill

I agree. But can this be done from a programming/hardware standpoint?
Apple?

Dan

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/11/91)

janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) writes:

>You can do something else while finder copies your files now! Enter
>resedit open finder and locate the DLOG resource with the copy status
>dialog/window. Change the window type to a ordinary window with no
>close box. Change the window header text while you're at it.  Remember
>to make a backup copy of finder before you alter it...

>This is why it works: Multifinder will not do 'major' task swiches
>while a 'dialog' (I forget the window type numbers) window is in
>front. When you change the window type multifinder will allow major
>task switch enabeling you to do something else while finder copies.

>This technique can be used on other programs that holds up your Mac by
>using a dialog window while doing something timeconsuming...  Like
>Apple Fileexchange.

>Remember to launch the program you want to use before starting the
>copying, finder will be tied up copying, disabeling any application
>launching. And lay of the files and directories you copy to/from...

>I've been using this for some time now and have noticed no ill efects.

>Nicolai

None of this res-editing is necessary in Sys7.
The Finder dialogs are modal.  (ok, ok, semi-modal.  who cares?  it works.)

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

pfterry@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr10.223846.16355@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
> janl@ifi.uio.no (Nicolai Langfeldt) writes:
>
>>You can do something else while finder copies your files now! Enter
>>resedit open finder and locate the DLOG resource with the copy status
>>dialog/window. Change the window type to a ordinary window with no
>>close box. Change the window header text while you're at it.  Remember
>>to make a backup copy of finder before you alter it...

(some deleted stuff )

>>Nicolai
>

> None of this res-editing is necessary in Sys7.
> The Finder dialogs are modal.  (ok, ok, semi-modal.  who cares?  it works.)
>

> --
> Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
> Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
> walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, how can we patch the System/Finder
so it behaves the same way with formatting? I looked for the copying
and formatting dialogs in System and Finder 7.0b4 (hoping Nicolai's
trick would work for formatting), but they aren't the usual DLOG or
DITL resource. Any ideas? Clues? Hints? Better yet, any patches?

Fred

**                              **                                    **
**  Fred Terry                  **    If you turn the crank of a      **
**  Kansas Geological Survey    **    sausage machine backwards,      **
**  Univ. of Kansas             **    pigs don't come out the         **
**  Lawrence, KS  66047         **    other end.                      **
**  pfterry@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu  **                    --Cliff Stoll   **
**                              **                                    **

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/14/91)

Yes, but do you WANT to be able to 'do' something while its formatting?
Formatting sucks a tremendous amount of cycles.  I suspect that your cursor
would be so jerky that it would be hard to accomplish anything anyway.

What someone needs to invent is a small device that formats floppies.
Then you could do boxes and boxes of them without tying up your machine.

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr13.180850.21255@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

   Yes, but do you WANT to be able to 'do' something while its formatting?

There's nothing strange there. Of cource we want to keep working while
the Mac is doing something. Another thing is will it allow us..

   Formatting sucks a tremendous amount of cycles.  I suspect that your cursor
   would be so jerky that it would be hard to accomplish anything anyway.

Flacky desing, nothing more. It's so reliefing to know that all the MIPS
or whatever that my new and shiny $8000 FX is doing such a "tremendous"
work in formating floppies. One might be tempted to wish for something
more.

   What someone needs to invent is a small device that formats floppies.
   Then you could do boxes and boxes of them without tying up your machine.

They have done it allready, and they are called Macintoshes. Just buy a
bunch of them and you'll be able to do other thing meanwhile. Did anyone
ever make more versatile floppy formatter?

Ok. Enough tongue in cheek for now, but it's rather unbelievable that
Apple has not come up with a reasonable way of not tying up Mac while
formating floppies. It's about high time Apple made something about it.
Like it wouldn't be bad enough that HD transfers reguire cpu polling all
the time, when most other manufacturers have DMA for just that.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/15/91)

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) writes:

>In article <1991Apr13.180850.21255@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>   Yes, but do you WANT to be able to 'do' something while its formatting?

>There's nothing strange there. Of cource we want to keep working while
>the Mac is doing something. Another thing is will it allow us..

<lots of other 'witty' remarks deleted>

The IIfx DOES do something about it.  It has two 6802's that do nothing but
control the floppy drives and the serial ports.
(Side note: I find this amusing, since the 6802 was the heart of the appleII )

dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.175733.9246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>The IIfx DOES do something about it.  It has two 6802's that do nothing but
>control the floppy drives and the serial ports.
>(Side note: I find this amusing, since the 6802 was the heart of the appleII )

You must have had one wierd Apple ][....every Apple two I ever saw had a 6502!
:)  But now the question arises, what do IIfx's have?  Do they have 6802's and
you just thought that's what Apple ]['s used, or do they have 6502's and you
just got the chip name confused?

--
Doug Siebert                    |                dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)          |  "All opinions expressed herein are obviously

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.175733.9246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
>The IIfx DOES do something about it.  It has two 6802's that do nothing but
>control the floppy drives and the serial ports.
>(Side note: I find this amusing, since the 6802 was the heart of the appleII )

Well, actually they are 6502's, but who's counting?  (the fx 6502's run at
2MHz instead of the 1MHz that the Apple II runs at <-- silly trivia)

Lawrence Miller

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.175733.9246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>The IIfx DOES do something about it.  It has two 6802's that do nothing but
>control the floppy drives and the serial ports.
>(Side note: I find this amusing, since the 6802 was the heart of the appleII )

Dang!  I always wondered why my Apple II 6502 programs took so much debugging!

;-)

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

In article <1991Apr14.175733.9246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>The IIfx DOES do something about it.  It has two 6802's that do nothing but
>control the floppy drives and the serial ports.
>(Side note: I find this amusing, since the 6802 was the heart of the appleII )

Nope, a 6802 is a 6800-series Motorola processor, like the 6809 used in the
TRS-80 Color Computer.  The 6502 (various manufacturers) is the chip that
ran the Apple II.

dbert@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:

>In article <1991Apr14.175733.9246@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:
>>
>You must have had one wierd Apple ][....every Apple two I ever saw had a 6502!
>:)  But now the question arises, what do IIfx's have?  Do they have 6802's and
>you just thought that's what Apple ]['s used, or do they have 6502's and you
>just got the chip name confused?

Oops.  6502, of course.

francis@daisy.zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr13.180850.21255@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>Formatting sucks a tremendous amount of cycles.  I suspect that your cursor
>would be so jerky that it would be hard to accomplish anything anyway.

It's been done, and fairly well (I'm told).  If you tell FastBack to
back up your HD in the background, it'll prompt for floppies as
needed, and format them in the background.  I was told (this was a
couple of years ago) that the performance didn't drop a whole lot.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (04/16/91)

hi there,

on the matter of formatting disks in background I want to say that it sounds
like a mistery to me why it can't be done. I thought it is done by the IWM
anyway. So very little software (and thus control from the cpu) would be
necessary to do it. But on the other side I'm quite aware that guys at apple
any time since the apple I liked the idea of doing anything under control
of the cpu. I wonder if I got anything wrong on that matter...

Oliver.