[comp.sys.mac.system] Desktop Manager INIT - where to get it?

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/17/91)

Having gotten a bit tired of waiting for the "Updating the Desktop" message
every time I copy a file, I found a mail message from a friend (Jon Pugh)
who had nicely explained the horror of the standard desktop and the resource
manager.  An excerpt:

	...but when you have a drive this big, the Resource Manager and the
	Desktop file will kill you.  The Desktop file grows to such an
	ungodly size that the Resource Manager chokes, the Finder dies, and
	you crash in a nasty way. The solution is to use the Desktop Manager
	INIT from Appleshare.  It works fine and replaces the Desktop file
	with two other Desktop files, neither of which uses the Resource
	Manager.  It is faster and eliminates the nasty wait when copying
	files while it "updates the Desktop."

My question:  how can I get my hands on this INIT?  I don't know how to
access Appleshare, and I couldn't find it in any of the standard archives.

I know that System 7.0 has the Desktop Manager built in, but I would like to
have this for my 6.0.x systems while I wait with baited breath for System
7.0.

E-mail or post.  Thanks in advance.

Alan

|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/17/91)

In article <13469@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:

>Having gotten a bit tired of waiting for the "Updating the Desktop" message
>every time I copy a file, I found a mail message from a friend (Jon Pugh)
>who had nicely explained the horror of the standard desktop and the resource
>manager.  An excerpt:
>
>	...but when you have a drive this big, the Resource Manager and the
>	Desktop file will kill you.  The Desktop file grows to such an
>	ungodly size that the Resource Manager chokes, the Finder dies, and
>	you crash in a nasty way. The solution is to use the Desktop Manager
>	INIT from Appleshare.  It works fine and replaces the Desktop file
>	with two other Desktop files, neither of which uses the Resource
>	Manager.  It is faster and eliminates the nasty wait when copying
>	files while it "updates the Desktop."
>
>My question:  how can I get my hands on this INIT?  I don't know how to
>access Appleshare, and I couldn't find it in any of the standard archives.
>
>I know that System 7.0 has the Desktop Manager built in, but I would like to
>have this for my 6.0.x systems while I wait with baited breath for System
>7.0.
>
>E-mail or post.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Alan
>
>--
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
>|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Well, it can be found by ftp'ing to apple.com, and you get a program called
"Oscar" (I{ think it's in the "goodies" or something like that section).
Desktop Manager is included in that package.

But, I suppose if anyone REALLY wants it THAT BAD (naw, just kidding;
I recognize how useful a tool it is, and I myself don't know how I even
lived without it, so I'll be glad to mail out a copy to whoever requests
one.
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."