[comp.sys.mac.system] TrueType

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (03/20/91)

In art. <1991Mar19.070505.13483@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) writes:
>[...] I use  US  System 6.0.7 (that is  Internationalized for
>Finnish characters), MultiFinder and TrueType v1.0 in (plain) MacII.

When you refer to "TrueType v1.0", are you referring to an INIT? I
downloaded the TrueType files from apple.com and found no INIT amongst
them. Is it located on an ftp site?
--
     Bill Taroli -- (315) 443-8067         | The only thing necessary for the|
____                                       | triumph of evil is for good men |

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.233632.10585@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:

>When you refer to "TrueType v1.0", are you referring to an INIT? I
>downloaded the TrueType files from apple.com and found no INIT amongst
>them. Is it located on an ftp site?

	<sigh>

	Well, if you want to go the "Install things the official way"
route, you need to ftp three of four possible files from
pub/dts/sw.license at apple.com:

[true-type-1-0.hqx]	This contains the TrueType fonts themselves
(Courier, Helvetica, Symbol, Times) and Font/DA Mover 4.1.

[mac-printing-tools.hqx]	This contains the updated drivers for
all Apple printers except the Personal LaserWriter LS and the
StyleWriter.

[stylewriter-install.hqx]	This contains the StyleWriter files,
the TrueType Init, the Installer app, and the Installer script for
installing TrueType and drivers for all Apple Printers.

[personal-lw-ls-install.hqx]	This contains the LaserWriter LS
files, the TrueType Init, the Installer app, and the Installer script
for installing TrueType and drivers for all Apple Printers.

	You need to get true-type-1-0.hqx, mac-printing-tools.hqx, and
one of the two install files.  Unlike the usual archives, these
-aren't- DiskCopy images - they're just StuffIt archives.  If you want
to use the Installer, you should put the files from each individual
archive on a single disk per archive.  Disks and names:

[true-type-1-0.hqx]		->	TrueType(tm) Fonts
[mac-printing-tools.hqx]	->	Macintosh Printing Tools
[stylewriter-install.hqx]	->	Stylewriter Install
[personal-lw-ls-install.hqx]	->	Personal LW LS Install*
	* This one is a guess, I didn't download this file.

	Boot off your System Tools Disk, insert the Install disk that
you've downloaded and made, and run the installer script.  Voila -
options from heck.  Have fun...

	Now, if you want to go the "gung - ho - I'll - copy - it -
myself - to - heck - with - installer - scripts" route, then you need
to pull the TrueType Init from one of the install archives, the
TrueType fonts and updated Font/DA mover from the TrueType archive,
and your printer driver from the printing tools archive.

	Disclaimer: I'm not from Apple, I represent me and only me,
and I might be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (04/17/91)

I recently downloaded the TrueType "disks" from apple.com. Unlike other
system software in the sw.license directory, these were not in "disk
image" format. After unbinhexing and unstuffing, I copied the "disk files"
to appropriate floppies and tried to run the installer on the LS
Laserwriter disk. First the installation failed because the "TrueType"
disk was not properly named (TrueType(TM) Fonts). After renaming the disk
appropriately I get a different failure message, to the effect that "Yeah,
this disk has the right name, but it is not REALLY the right disk."

Since one of the README files on these disks insists (unnecessarily?) that
the installer be used, I am reluctant to do the installation by hand (is
there some INIT 99 that needs to be installed in the System file?). So, is there anything missing from the TrueType disk or are
these errors a side effect of the files on apple.com not being in disk
image format in the first place?

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000