[comp.sys.mac.system] Trouble with Desktop Manager init

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/18/91)

I posted a request a few days ago for the location of the Desktop Manager
init.  Thanks to everyone who wrote and posted locations where I could find
it (the easiest being /pub/dts/mac/goodies/oscar.hqx on apple.com).

I downloaded it and installed it and rebooted.  I peeked at the little
Desktop DF and Desktop DB files with DiskTop, and everything seemed to be
swell.

That was until I started looking around on my hard disk, which is
partitioned into three hard partitions with Silverlining.  What I noticed is
that I had lost almost all of my document icons.  Specifically, if a document
resides on a different partition than it's creator program, the Desktop
Manager desktop doesn't recognize it's creator, and lists it as a generic
document.  Documents which are on the same partition as their creator
applications are fine.  The documents still have their type and creator codes
(checked with DiskTop), but the DM desktop doesn't know what to make of them.

I removed the Desktop Manager init, rebooted, and everything is back to
normal with the ordinary Desktop (i.e. slow and annoying, but with all the
proper document types).

Any ideas about what the problem might be?

Alan
|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/18/91)

Thanks to Jeff Wasilko who *instantaneously* answered my question!  The
solution is to rebuild the desktop in the usual way (by holding command and
option down at startup).  Everything seems to be running normally now.

comp.sys.mac.system -- Faster than you can believe !!

Alan

P.S.  I realize that two posts in a row from me is *almost* a rhetorical
question (contrary to my .sig), but you know what?  I don't care!  (oops,
that's two.... :-)

markj.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Mark Rosen) (04/19/91)

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:

> I posted a request a few days ago for the location of the Desktop Manager
> init.  Thanks to everyone who wrote and posted locations where I could find
> it (the easiest being /pub/dts/mac/goodies/oscar.hqx on apple.com).
>
> I downloaded it and installed it and rebooted.  I peeked at the little
> Desktop DF and Desktop DB files with DiskTop, and everything seemed to be
> swell.
>
> That was until I started looking around on my hard disk, which is
> partitioned into three hard partitions with Silverlining.  What I noticed is
> that I had lost almost all of my document icons.  Specifically, if a document
> resides on a different partition than it's creator program, the Desktop
> Manager desktop doesn't recognize it's creator, and lists it as a generic
> document.  Documents which are on the same partition as their creator
> applications are fine.  The documents still have their type and creator codes
> (checked with DiskTop), but the DM desktop doesn't know what to make of them.
>
> I removed the Desktop Manager init, rebooted, and everything is back to
> normal with the ordinary Desktop (i.e. slow and annoying, but with all the
> proper document types).
>
> Any ideas about what the problem might be?
>
> Alan
> --
> |  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?
> |  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.

You have to rebuild your desktop after putting DT manager in your
system folder.  Just restart, and hold down option-command when the
finder loads.  You'll get a dialog box asking if you want the desktop
rebuilt.  Answer yes, and you'll find all your icons are correct, and
the other problems with launching are solved.
Mark